Neowin: Windows Threshold, Cortana takes a step forward

Neowin

Over the past few weeks, we've has been slowly uncovering Windows Threshold with tidbits about its distinctive new interface, virtual desktops, Charms bar overhaul and now we are learning a little bit more about Cortana.

Previously, we had mentioned that Cortana was up and running inside Threshold, and that was true, but the good news here is that Cortana has ‘graduated’, if you want to call it that, from engineering builds to a more stable release. What this means is that Cortana is no longer in the phase where it's ‘let us see if this works’ to a ‘let us push this forward and see if we can ship it’ stage.

While it is still early in development, Cortana’s performance on the desktop is improving and looks to be targeted for inclusion in the final release. Obviously at this point, it could still be cut, but the first big hurdle has been overcome.

But how does Cortana work? As of right now, Cortana is an app; it’s a simple app that opens up the personal digital assistant where you can then either type in your question or ask verbally inside a smallish window. It's not a full screen experience like you see on Windows Phone.

Read more about how Cortana is integrated with Windows Threshold.

This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Permalink to story.

This article made me recall and check back all the pathetic attempts Microsoft did in the area of speech recognition. YouTube is full of those failed presentations.

Then I went to see what's the latest from Dragon Naturally Speaking, and they seem to be doing well with version 13 of their software, I might check it out later.

If ever there was a hope for a 3D hologram called Cortana, like in the Halo games, created to help people in the future with their master chief like problems, then this is the nail in the coffin.
As much as every technological advancement does seem like it is hell bent on slowly creating a Terminator style future and its more doom and gloom than go team human, this, is too early, it will fail and the Cortana name will be scrapped.
And when my mind is rescued and attached to a SynapseDisk and inserted into a Master Chief combat suit, I will have to talk to Geoff, with his gravy stained tie, his unkempt beard, as he dunks his biscuit into his hot tea, dripping it over the manual he is reading, so as he can tell me how I can reboot the Jumpdrive system from B-Deck.
The future is bleak.

Yeah... I tried Google Now a few times and I can see it's advantages but I just can't get used to talking to a device just like I can't get used to talking on my phone in public in front of strangers, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

A more intelligently sorted start menu with "classic" mode option; a single background color and high-color icons as the default scheme for live tiles (at least the ones that don't use real pictures as their backgrounds); ability to dock tiles to the edge of the desktop and to each other to form interactive launchbars; the return of depth, shading and other human-friendly design. These would be enough at least give Windows 9 a chance of dethroning Windows 7. If all we get is a minor Metro remix then Microsoft might as well give up on OS's, make DirectX open source and start releasing Office for every platform.

"Over the past few weeks, we've has been slowly uncovering Windows Threshold..."

We've has been? Really, Steven Parker? :p

"Over the past few weeks, we've has been slowly uncovering Windows Threshold..."

We've has been? Really, Steven Parker? :p
Nah man, that's not a grammatical error. Look it up in an urban dictionary, I think it's the "home boy idiomatic way past pluperfect.".

"Are you trying to say that "Siri" isn't evil? 'Cause that's just plain wrong."

ah, yes, I totally forgot that.. I mean, Siri's (more) evil sister :D

Back