Nero error: advrcntr2.dll file not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humdot

"This program requires the file advrcntr2.dll which was not found on this system."

Hi guys, I've been getting that error for a few days now and not even when I do anything with Nero. When I try to watch videos on my computer AVI or whatever, I get that error. I've already uninstalled Nero (7) and deleted every trace of a Nero file I can find on my PC, but I still get this error. Even for just highlighting a video file, it pops up like 10 times.

I tried the Nero clean tool and that didn't do anything either. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, David.

The advrcntr2.dll file should be located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib folder. If you find the advrcntr2.dll file in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, chances are it is not Nero's legitimate advrcntr2.dll file, but rather an infestation.

First thing to do is run scans... We like to use SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes scans for this.

Then I would totally remove the Nero 7 using add and remove, then remove from your registry using a simple registry editor, such as RegClean by Juoni Viourno or similar name, from MajorGeeks.com...

once you have removed the old Nero 7. defrag your system, then reboot, and install Nero from the Nero Disk. You cannot patch Nero 7... you either have to reinstall it, or download the update from the Nero web site.

Don't download the advrcntr2.dll DLL file from any "DLL download site." There are several reasons that downloading DLLs from these sites are never a good idea, and Nero/Ahead Software makes sure these DLL sites are trouble for their software..

If you've already downloaded advrcntr2.dll from one of those DLL download sites, remove it from wherever you copied it to and continue with the following steps, run Add and Remove in Windows, then Reg Clean, as above, and then follow these steps..

Although you have already done this, do it again after the above removals. Restart your computer to see if the error remains.. The advrcntr2.dll error might be a fluke and a simple restart sometimes will clear it up completely.

Record the serial number of your particular Nero installation. Follow Nero instructions on Ahead Nero's site for locating the serial number to your particular Nero version... they vary widely because Nero has so many versions out there as part of free install software with new optical drives..

If you cannot find it using Nero's instructions, use a product key finder download from MajorGeeks or other sites.

Be sure you have uninstalled Nero using the Uninstall Nero link in the Nero program group (if available) or use the Programs or Add/Remove Programs utility in Control Panel... and a simple Registry Cleaner.

Now, restart the computer and download the Nero General Clean Tool and install it using Nero's instructions.

This utility will usually make sure Nero is totally removed from your computer.

Restart your computer once more again from a cold boot.

Once the computer is fully booted and running smoothly, reinstall Nero using the original Nero installation CD or Nero download.

This reinstall of Nero will properly install your advrcntr2.dll file.

Download and Install the latest Nero update There is usually one or more available. Nero is famous for this. but don't get hooked into buying an upgrade.

Keep in mind that your old Nero disk may have been what caused this problem, so look for scratches and damage before you run the install.

Finally, shut down, then cold boot, look for the error message, and re-test Nero.

Once more run antivirus and antispyware software. I like Avira Antivir, SuperAntispyware, and MalwareBytes. Because some advrcntr2.dll issues are actually related to hostile programs that masquerade as the advrcntr2.dll file.

Remember, that there are many instances of advrcntr2.dll files that are bad news. Look to be sure it is found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib folder. Should you discover that the advrcntr2.dll file is located in C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then you probably have a infested version.

Scan for infestations once more.

Or use another program instead of Nero. There are some decent free ones at www.filehippo.com and elsewhere.

Keep us informed as to what you learn so we can all benefit.

Thanks raybay,
The thing is though I don't want to reinstall Nero, just to remove the error. I'll Download the RegClean and try that. And I have already run SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, as well as a few others.
Anyway, I'll try your other suggestions and post back what I find.
Thanks, David

You might want to try the Ahead Nero site for the removal tool, or repair as they sometimes call it, as it works, but they are very slick... Once you remove it, just do not do the reinstall... Then still use the RegCleaner as a way to remove vestiges of the original install... The one by Juoni Viorno (not certain of the spelling) is old, simple and works well...
Good luck.
But do not be surpised if it is an infestation... We use both SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes to remove it... They are both free programs.

Hi guys, sorry for the late update I've been pretty busy with work etc.
So I got the removal tool from the Nero site but when I tried to run it, it said no Nero products detected. I also got the Reg Cleaner that you recommended and removed all the Ahead Nero entries but that didn't fix the problem either. I did scans with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes as well as CounterSpy and they all came up clean... Only a couple of Ahead folders were showing up when I did a file search but at first I couldn't delete them and I still had the error. I tried to delete them again the other day and it worked and now the error is gone.
Thanks for all your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back