Nest Labs unveils Learning Thermostat, no programming necessary

By Shawn Knight
Oct 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Nest Labs has unveiled the Nest Learning Thermostat, billed as the world’s first intelligent thermostat. The product is the first to debut from startup Nest Labs, led by Tony Fadell…

Read the whole story
  2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

this is very interesting. i never knew conventional thermalstats were that terrible. i'd get one but i dont use it that often. maybe i'll wait till it becomes mainstream.
  3. Placeholder

Placeholder Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

Of course, it will turn up the AC as it works your CPU harder and harder...
  4. It looks interesting however it's not for me:
    I don't have WiFi, maybe it can use a neighbors.
    I already have programable thermostat that works well.
    My thermostat is installed upstairs, so how will it sense I'm leaving the home downstairs, unless it's only based on time of day.
    Do I need a firewall or anti-virus? I don't want some hacker baking me to death, man it's hot in here.
    I just found a way I can save $249 on my electric bill, don't buy this.
  5. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 278

"if you are WARY of installing the unit on your own"
  6. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 186

if this thing talked and said "good morning master" when i wake up, i would finally think "we've made it to the future"
  7. mctommy

mctommy Newcomer, in training Posts: 73   +9

This would be nice if it came with several sensors especially if you live in a house with more than one floor. Though, I wonder how it would work for people who don't have set 8-5 work schedule.
  8. Hack into your neighbors thermostat and run his bill up or turn his house into a fridge! :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.