.net 1.1 update (KB2656353) installs, but keeps on reappearing in needed updates

B00kWyrm

I have been trying to help a friend resolved some computer issues.
Trying to work on final updates to the system now.
Everytime I go to Windows Updates, it lists this (KB2656353) as a needed update.
Everytime it seems to be successful installing (no failure notice, no code, etc).
But, it is now, THE needed update... everytime.

To try to resolve this, I completely uninstalled .Net (all versions), starting with 4 and working back.
Then I downloaded the individual packages and installed them sequentially, beginning with 1.
Then I began updates again.

Initially the issue was with a different update (KB2416447).
But... now... all updates have installed, except this one... or is it really installed?
And there then would be a glitch with MS WIndows Updates?

Anyone have any answers. I would like to get this computer back to my friend, but I want it up to date when I do so.

Thanks

I guess I could... (again!)
Is there a reason to keep it if the system has .Net 2, 3, and 4?

Is there a reason to keep it if the system has .Net 2, 3, and 4?

I found couple postings regarding this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2592537/will-net-framework-4-replace-all-its-previous-versions

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_10...all-older-version-of-microsoft-net-framework/

So, basically it depends on what software your friend has, whether those software require .Net framework earlier than version 4. I would imagine if a program requires earlier version is executed than it won't work & display message saying it needs whichever version.

Yes, dot Net has issues. I ran into the iterative Update cycle on dot net too.
I had to uninstall all existing version, From the highest down to the lowest,
and then reinstall them in version order. If you miss one, the next will cry there's a
missing dependency, so you need the all :sigh:

Recognize that dot Net is an applicatioln layer and MS itself does not require it.
Knowing this allows you to uninstall all of this junk and wait for your first application
(if any) to cry that it needs dot Net Version xyz.

Btw: I've not installed v4 and the highest level I have is 3.5 SP1

Thanks JOBEARD
I am thinking of uninstalling ALL again.
Then starting from the bottom work my way up...
updating each one fully before moving on to the next, see if that makes a difference.
The things we get ourselves into, volunteering to help with a friend's computer issues!
This is one heck of a time burner!

Back