Netbook not recognizing network controller - code 28

munch2477

I just updated my Asus Eee PC 1015PN from Windows starter to Windows ultimate. Everything seems fine except for my Network controller. It says there are no connections available and it doesn't look like it recognizes my network controller.

In Computer Management, under device manager, in Other Devices - the only thing listed is Network Controller with a yellow exclamation mark. When I double click on it, it says the manufacturer is unknown and the drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). I tried to update the driver through the system but it doesn't find anything.

In Everest, Network, PCI/PnP Network, it lists Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller and Broadcom 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter. That is the only mention of my wireless adapter I could find.

Any help would be much appreciated. I can provide more info if need be. Thanks

it lists Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller and Broadcom 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter.
It sounds like you should have 2 network controllers - one wired, the other wireless.

Are you saying it's just the wired Ethernet connector? or both not working? Did you try the ASUS web site? If one of the connectors is working, i think the ASUS site offers the option to detect your model and tell you drivers needed. Or look up your model manually on their site

It looks like just my wireless is not being recognized. I tried getting the most recent drivers off of the asus website for my model but it still isn't working. I'm not really sure what to do now.

Since you at least have a network connection, you can goolge to find and try either Driver Easy or Driver Identifier tools to look for the driver online (they're both free).

P.S. Note these tools may also find driver updates for devices other then your wireless net adapter. I advise
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Don't install every driver update just because it finds one
> Only install driver updates for devices that aren't working or you think need them
> Create a System Restore point before installing new drivers​

if still problematic List any Problem Devices might provide more info
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Ok I solved the problem. I installed older drivers that seemed to work. I found them on the asus website for my model.

Unfortunately, once I got my wireless internet connection working, it automatically started downloading updates. I installed the updates and restarted my computer and now I can't log in because I am getting a BSOD.

I'm starting to think my problem is that I updated windows from starter to windows 7 ultimate instead of doing a clean install. I think I will try a clean install to see if my issues are solved.

Of course, in theory, upgrading from Windows 7 starter to Windows Ultimate shouldn't be a problem. Tho, under your circumstance, i agree a clean install is probably the best way to go at this point. (And at least now you know where to find all your drivers :) )

The only word of caution i'd add: Since the actual problem cause isn't certain, consider creating System Restore points (if not also doing some disk image backups) as you continue doing the full reinstall so in case BSOD strikes again, you have a backup point to fall back on in case needed.

G'luck. Hope it all goes well!

Of course, in theory, upgrading from Windows 7 starter to Windows Ultimate shouldn't be a problem. Tho, under your circumstance, I agree a clean install is probably the best way to go at this point. (And at least now you know where to find all your drivers :) )

The only word of caution I'd add: Since the actual problem cause isn't certain, consider creating System Restore points (if not also doing some disk image backups) as you continue doing the full reinstall so in case BSOD strikes again, you have a backup point to fall back on in case needed.

G'luck. Hope it all goes well!

The comment above ^^^

Back