Netcraft

Phantasm66

Well, let me see now.....

www.3dspotlight.com is running... Looks like 3 servers:

Linux
Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_perl/1.24_01 PHP/4.0.6 FrontPage/5.0.2 mod_ssl/2.8.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6

Linux
Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) PHP/4.0.4 mod_perl/1.21 mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.2b

Linux
Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21 mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.2b

Well, now let me see.... What about www.microsoft.com ???

Looks like no less than 10 servers, running Windows 2000 with Microsoft-IIS/5.0 .....

What about the web site of a well known multinational girlie magazine ???

Looks like 10 servers... Most are listed as Solaris and some are unknown all running Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP3 and Netscape-Enterprise/4.1.

So how did I know this???

www.netcraft.com has the answer.

You should also be interested to know that in March:

http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

Microsoft gains almost 2 million sites this month, primarily as a result of register.com and Network Solutions migrating their domain parking facilities to a Windows front end.

Network Solutions has been running part of its domain parking system on Windows for some time, and has been moving progressively more of its sites from a Solaris Netscape-Enterprise system at Digex to a Windows based system at Interland. Several hundred thousand sites seem to have moved to this system this month, and the drop in Netscape-Enterprise is largely a result of this. Ironically, many of the sites were hacked a few days later, Newsbytes reports.

register.com seems to be partway through a migration to Windows. Presently, the bulk of the page content is still served from Linux, with a Windows platform serving framesets referencing the Linux based page content as on this example site.

Back