TechSpot

Netflix announces $8 streaming-only plan, raises DVD prices

By Emil
Nov 22, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Netflix has introduced a new $8 streaming-only subscription plan in the US. The plan, which allows members to instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes on their TVs and computers, is available now to both new and existing members. The new offer is in direct competition with Hulu Plus, which also cost $8 per month.

Read the whole story

2. +$2 for blu-ray access means I'll be paying $12/month, considering I have to wait 30 days for new releases plus all the time they're at long wait in my queue, this change might just be enough to make me cancel. The streaming only might be worth $8/month, but for discs I'm going back to blockbuster (while it lasts). I guess if one wants to watch current content netflix isn't the place.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

Although 8 bucks a month sounds reasonable, I still won't be signing up. First of all, there just aren't that many good movies out there. Amazing the colossal amount of crap that is released. Also, Netflix streaming catalog is still pretty limited. Lastly, if I just have to see a flick, Red Box only charges a buck for regular DVD and $1.50 for Blu-Ray. Which is a much better deal considering how few movies I watch.

4. for me, this is the standout statement - "Netflix will invest more money to license streaming content than to acquire DVDs "

if they really do deliver more and better streaming then i don't have a problem with the price increase

5. They absolutely need to get more streaming content, and get new content at a much faster pace. I just cut the cord last month and while I do enjoy Netflix and love not having a cable bill, their streaming content is sorely lacking. I usally find what I want to watch available for streaming at about a 1/10 shot.

6. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

Netflix is awesome. I don't use it anymore, but I love the fact that people are taking a liking to streaming video. Death to conventional TV subscriptions that spoon feed their customers commercials.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.