Netflix loses 800,000 subscribers

learninmypc

For Netflix, the hits keep on coming -- the bad kind.

The latest thwack: Netflix lost 800,000 U.S. subscribers in the quarter that just ended, which was littered with PR nightmares including a price hike and the Qwikster debacle. It was the first time in years that Netflix's U.S. customer base shrank instead of growing. 800.000

But the real debacle came just three days later, on September 18. Netflix CEO Hastings announced that the company's movies-by-mail service would be rebranded as Qwikster, while the Netflix brand would be dedicated to streaming video.

Had Netflix not reversed course on this decision I would have likely switched to Blockbuster.

Had Netflix not reversed course on this decision I would have likely switched to Blockbuster.

You're lucky,I don't think any Blockbuster survived in my area any more. No biggie to me, I watch my movies @ crackle.com or youtube. If I feel like watching irrelevant commercials,I use hulu.

Its not all doom and gloom at Netflix.

Despite the decline in subscribers, the company did well financially in the quarter. It reported net income of $62.5 million, or $1.16, a share, compared with $38 million, or 70 cents a share, in the year-earlier quarter. Revenue rose 49 percent to $822 million. Both revenue and income topped analysts’ expectations.
Source: NY Times

Back