Netflix: Online streaming will replace traditional television in the future

By Shawn Knight
Apr 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Netflix recently outlined their vision for the future which, surprising to nobody, will see online streams completely replace traditional means of watching television. The company makes some compelling arguments in the 11-page document titled “Netflix Long Term View”, highlighting a...

Read more
  2. Yes, Online streaming will replace traditional television in the future. And XM Satellite radio will replace traditional AM/FM radio in the future too right? Right?

Im going to start selling ketchup popsicles and tell people that EVERYONE will want these in the future! Ill be rich!
  3. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

My goodness that's a lot of money
  4. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 493   +82

That future is already now in my home. I got rid of satellite tv for the much cheaper Netflx and Hulu Plus offerings. That was two years ago. I rarely tune to broadcast TV outside of the every now and then free UFC fight. Ad free, watch anywhere, and good variety of television I like (anime, martial arts, drama) and the move appears to be all positive.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,049   +699

If the future of television is streaming, why do I need netflix? I don't have some interface into the TV shows I watch over the air... why do we need an interface to get them off the internet?

Couldn't we just make TVs connect to the internet directly and if we want to watch a show from CBS, then we stream it from CBS? If we want to watch something from the Discovery Channel, we stream it from them. Of course then every channel would have to be able to host streaming, and I don't really feel like paying 15 cable bills for $3 each every month for the 15 channels I want to have.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,954   +726

Is that so? I thought grainy black & white tv sets were still cutting edge.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  7. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Maybe this will be motivation for people like comcast to lower the prices >_>
  8. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,658   +57

Gl beating a free service, when smart phones have 100 gig monthly plans at a affordable rate this may become a reality, stream from your phone to your tv. Currently local tv is FREE. The internet\netflix is not.
  9. Sorry, but there is no way in hell Netflix will replace traditional TV's. Why? Two words: data caps!
    dennis777 likes this.
  10. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 517   +138

Not with how this unreliable and slow internet is evolving... or lack there of...
  11. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 575   +31

Essentially what the 'torrenter' has been doing for years now. Data caps (and related physical infrastructure issues) won't be as much an issue once cable companies update their business models to fall in line with what the people really want.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.