Netflix represents 32.7% of North America's peak Web traffic

By Matthew
Oct 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Despite losing 800,000 members, Netflix still accounts for a whopping 32.7% of all North American peak fixed access downstream traffic, according to Sandvine's fall 2011 Global Internet Phenomena Report. That's…

Read the whole story
  2. Yeah, but bittorrent accounts for nearly 50% of the upstream...I think that speaks for itself. : )
  3. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,574   +41

I cant believe people watch that much youtube, I look up songs on there I don't care to download but most of it is utter crap, i guess there aint nothin else to do on the net
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,366   +261

Or just make the services unlimited 24/7? that make it used all the time.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +611

Surprising. A timeline graph for the entire continent of North America and no time zone on the axis label I'm assuming it's Eastern Time?

Wait until Apple TV gets some real content. I expect some usage based broadband contracts from ISPs, and an increase in price to match. In the smartphone industry, the demand for connectivity has outpaced wireless capability and the result is only 1 carrier offering unlimited data plans. We may see the same thing soon in home broadband if we get a streaming service with some diverse content.
  6. Netflix upstream?? Now that's interesting. Wonder what that's about?
  7. I'm amazed I don't hear anyone touting two of Netlflix' greatest strengths... the content rating community they've put together, and more exclusively, the excellent content suggestion algorithm they've worked so hard to refine. No one does a better job of this than Netflix, though Amazon has also put tigether a decent content rating community.

I think many will flock back to Netflix as they realize how much they've depended on these two aspects of the Netflix business model.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.