Netflix streaming on PS3 gets 1080p, surround sound, no disc

By Emil
Oct 14, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Streaming Netflix to your PlayStation 3 is about to get better, next week. You'll be able to stream Instant Watch content without the Netflix disc and also watch some content in 1080p with 5.1-channel surround sound (thanks to a partnership with Dolby Digital Plus). Netflix plans to offer 5.1-channel surround sound to other devices "over time," but the company wouldn't say when it would roll out the feature or to which devices.

Read the whole story
  2. cyrusjumpjet

cyrusjumpjet TechSpot Member Posts: 93

Some of the content will be available in 1080i, not 1080p as reported.

1080p streaming is still a long way off.
  3. Emil

Emil Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 154

No, Sony first said 1080i but has since corrected that and said 1080p.
  4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 892   +52

Well I know my internet connection is no where near fast enough for that.
  5. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

this is not available in my part of the world, so don't really care :p

but it's a good thing indeed for Netflix users on PS3.

cheers!
  6. Omnislip

Omnislip Newcomer, in training Posts: 96

If you're in the UK then Lovefilm will be offering this service on the PS3 very soon as well. It wont be quite as good, but it is there.
  7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,471   +300

Why won't it be quite as good? as in is something missing etc...

I have a lovefilm account and a ps3, would be interesting to use at least, considering i'll have fiber internet to my house by chrismas (40Mb download, 10Mb upload) it would definately be something i'm looking into!
  8. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 541

(40Mb download, 10Mb upload) Bt infinity? Lucky u im still on 1.5megD/448kU BT... Will you be able to not stream, but download it (say overnight)? I don't have a HD TV and can just stream 480P on this line... If they do offer SD stream it be cheaper I hope!
  9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,471   +300

http://www.racetoinfinity.bt.com/

If you vote, maybe, Just maybe, they will give it to you :)
  10. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 541

No they won't. Only for exchanges with more than 1000 lines, My one only has 500. Still tho 6 people voted my exchange anyway \0/
  11. cyrusjumpjet

cyrusjumpjet TechSpot Member Posts: 93

This is interesting... I just found the Sony update they were talking about, but I'm actually, uh, closely connected with Netflix and the information they have is definitely 1080i.

Not sure what to think at this point.

12. 1080p working good and showing up on my led light on the receiver for 1080p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.