Netflix strikes deal with Disney and ABC

Emil

Staff

Netflix has announced a new licensing agreement with Disney-ABC Television Group. Netflix will soon be able to stream hundreds of episodes from the ABC Television Network, Disney Channel, and ABC Family over the Internet. Relevant programming will appear on Netflix at least 15 days after initial telecast. After that, episodes can be streamed instantly with Netflix memberships starting at $8 per month. While the agreement encompasses hundreds of TV episodes, both new and old, it's important to note that Disney Channel and ABC Family movies, also both new and old, will also be available.

Netflix recently said it was willing to pay up to $100,000 per episode in order to put new TV shows on its Watch Instantly feature. The number is certainly impressive, even if the price didn't end up going that high in this particular deal. Unfortunately, it looks like Netflix users are still going to have to wait over two weeks to get many of the episodes they want to watch right away.

"TV content streamed from Netflix has proven to be immensely popular with our members," Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer, said in a statement. "Adding to our existing Disney-ABC lineup with great network and cable shows, and opening up ABC Family for the first time, are important steps in creating a wide and diverse selection of content Netflix members of all ages can watch."

Permalink to story.

That's great to hear more media company's coming to Netflix. Slowly gettting more content,which is good thing and closer to hulu.But still have a ways to go..Atleast I know the rate increase is going for more content and not a raise for the CEO or other management.

Netflix is really trying to get everyone on board. Good to see a company expand like this, and get more partners, which ends up providing end uers with more content.

This is a really good move for consumers. It looks like Netflix is working to become the "cable tv" of the internet. I'm sure the Comcast's of the world don't like this.

I hope Netflix strikes up more deals like this. Oh darn two weeks. Who cares soon people will be standing around the water cooler saying "Did you see that new episode on Netflix last night?"

Back