Netflix to launch multiple user profiles: tailored movie, TV suggestions coming your way

David Tom

netflix avatar movies tv profile

If you are the owner of a Netflix account, then chances are that you're not the only one benefitting from the subscription. You probably share this service with your spouse, friends, or family. The big problem with this is that TV and movie suggestions aren’t tailored specifically to you – they become a composite of all the shows watched under the same account.

To resolve this issue, Netflix is launching a new feature this summer – multiple user profiles linked to a single subscription. Not only should the concept benefit Netflix users, but it will help the company to get a better feel for what certain demographics do and don't like. Todd Yellin, Netflix’s VP of Product Innovation, said, “It’s the revolution of TV. They used to send out a TV show and then they’d have no freaking idea who was watching it, how much they were watching … it was just Nielsen diaries.”

The company demonstrated the new feature at the E3 gaming conference in Los Angeles. Similar to signing in to a personalized Windows account, the user will be shown several different avatars at the start screen. Each avatar will represent a personalized profile, in which viewing preferences and content history is unique to the individual.

It is important to note that although there is a max limit of either five or six profiles (yet to be decided) on a single account, only two users will be able to simultaneously stream a movie or TV show.

The profile concept has been in beta testing for several months, and it is expected to become available before summer's end. According to Yahoo, Netflix is also in the process of developing a specialized ‘remote control' app for iOS and Android that will enable users to navigate through the Netflix database using just their smartphone. However, this feature should take at least two years before it is officially released to the public.

Permalink to story.

It's about time. It's embarrassing that it took them so long...

My top 10 recommended movies are -- Pinky Dinky Do, My little Pony, etc., etc. And once in a while I feel like watching something... naughty, I have to worry about what will show up on the "Most recently watched" list.

It's about time. It's embarrassing that it took them so long...

My top 10 recommended movies are -- Pinky Dinky Do, My little Pony, etc., etc. And once in a while I feel like watching something... naughty, I have to worry about what will show up on the "Most recently watched" list.

yeah they needed to update that interface. Whenever my daughter would watch something during the day and I wanted to watch something at night, I'd have to search for it again. 'Recently watched' only showed the single most recently watched show. Going into the history takes longer than just searching.

not to mention all the recommendations are completely useless.

Hopefully this will solve the embarrassment of having my Facebook timeline show that I have been watching Glee all afternoon.

Haven't used Netflix in a while. Have they included parental controls yet? That's what's holding me back in some respects.

Progress ... this is cool.

Timonius, I think with the profile system it will be easier to place parental controls or at least monitor what each profile has been watching. If they don't rollout something like this eventually and soon... then why bother.

Back