Netgear announces world's first 802.11ac Wi-Fi router

By Jos
Apr 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Netgear today announced the release of what it claims is the world's first router to utilize Broadcom's "5G Wi-Fi" 802.11ac chips, which are supposedly capable of delivering speeds over 1Gbit/s...

Read the whole story
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

thats cool. My current router is sorta throttling my download speeds :/
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +82

I'd appreciate the better range. I don't have any need to push files at Gigabit speed between my home computers. (yet) We do very little file sharing as it is.
  4. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

This does not makes sense! Firstly, AC operates STRICTLY on the 5.0GHx range. Secondly: the 5.0GHz band has a shorter range so I struggle to understand how they quoting an increase by 40%. Are they simply more powerful antennae? If that si the case than attributing that to the chip is pretty piss-poor.

All of this comes straight from the TechSpot article on the new wireless standard...
  5. BabblingSage

BabblingSage Newcomer, in training

I am surprised that Netgear didn't decided to have 3.0 USB ports for its new hub, I think that might prove a bad move on their part if there trying to provide a future proof hub.
    Another feature I would love to have seen on it, would have been extra Giganet ports
  6. hey does anyone know where we can preorder the R6300

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.