Netgear WG111v3 - When Inserted shuts computer down

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyfly

Ok. I am currently using a Zyxel G-202. However, I bought a Netgear WG111 because my Zyxel every so often would lose connection. I know it's not the router as we had a Zyxel router and it did it then and now we have a Netgear one and it still seems to do it. I got the Netgear adapter in hope it would fix my problem.

I have installed the driver software but when it comes to plugging in the adapter, it restarts my computer. i don't know if it's a power failure or not.

Any ideas of what I can do?

Thanks

Hi

Daft question, have you tried the USB (sticks out tongue as I hate USB wifi sticks) in another PC, it may be faulty as they carry a 5v it may be shorting out the USB socket.

As for the WIFI losing connection, it is a common fault with some WIFI systems, here's an example, my main laptop is an Inspiron 1300 with a boradcom MiniPCI WIFI nic, it never loses connection, but my spare laptop (im not rich i just buy em cheap and fix em up) has a Belkin PCMCIA NIC and it loses connection on a regular basis, on both im using windows own built in WIFI manager.

I did read somewhere about changing the channel they use and I think i did that once with another laptop and card and it stopped it losing connection.

If you can get a PCMCIA card instead they are much much better than a USB dongle.

Regards

Well - I kept my Zyxel one in which hasn't gone down since before I said so I haven't need to use the Netgear one.

My Zyxel adapter was originally going through a USB Hub and another wire. I cut out the hub and plugged it straight into the back of my PC and I haven't had any trouble since.

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: My dad used the NETGEAR adapter on his PC before me and it worked fine.

delete the driver for the device and then power off.

insert the device and reboot the system to allow Auto Discovery to install the
correct driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back