Netgear WG311T PCI Adapter is Causing my Computer to Crash when Playing WoW

By xlrustylx
Mar 30, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently had to get a new wireless network adapter because my old one did not support the security on my new router. I have a Netgear WG311T PCI Network Adapter. I can browse the internet and download things in a breeze. But when I play World of Warcraft (I haven't tested any other games) I usually get ridiculous lag spikes and terrible latency. Not only that, my computer eventually freezes, completely unresponsive.

The chipset is the Atheros AR5002G (AR5212), according to madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/Netgear. I have read other posts about people having similar problems with this chipset. But they fixed their problem by installing an alternative driver. I assume I have a driver problem. I have found numerous drivers for this chipset, but Netgear is too stubborn to let these drivers install for their hardware.

I'm running Windows XP Professional. How can I force a driver installation on a device? Do I have to remove the Netgear utilities (which are completely worthless)? And what are some recommended drivers for my chipset (Atheros AR5002G)?

Thanks,
    Jared
  2. lekendri

lekendri Newcomer, in training

Alternative Drivers

xlrustylx,

I have found the alternative driver if you are still looking.
  3. lekendri

lekendri Newcomer, in training

Atheros

members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=675853
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.