Netgear WG311T PCI Adapter is Causing my Computer to Crash when Playing WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to get a new wireless network adapter because my old one did not support the security on my new router. I have a Netgear WG311T PCI Network Adapter. I can browse the internet and download things in a breeze. But when I play World of Warcraft (I haven't tested any other games) I usually get ridiculous lag spikes and terrible latency. Not only that, my computer eventually freezes, completely unresponsive.

The chipset is the Atheros AR5002G (AR5212), according to madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/Netgear. I have read other posts about people having similar problems with this chipset. But they fixed their problem by installing an alternative driver. I assume I have a driver problem. I have found numerous drivers for this chipset, but Netgear is too stubborn to let these drivers install for their hardware.

I'm running Windows XP Professional. How can I force a driver installation on a device? Do I have to remove the Netgear utilities (which are completely worthless)? And what are some recommended drivers for my chipset (Atheros AR5002G)?

Thanks,
Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back