Network adapter optimized for file transfer speed

By Savage1701
Feb 18, 2006
  1. I have an Intel 865 and and Intel 955 based computers (the motherboards are themselves Intel) that are set up on a gigabit ethernet network. They are using the motherboard-based gigabit ethernet adapters. Are there any settings that I can make to the network adapters to optimize them for speed ? I need to transfer large .ts files between them. I was thinking things like enabling jumbo frames, etc.

Right now I am showing transfer rates of around 18-24 MB per second per my Vice Versa file transfer utility.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Jumbo Frames is pretty much the only thing you can set in the NIC configuration. Mind you, you need to enable it on all adapters connected to the network.

I assume you are copying files over Windows shares? You can apply some Windows tweaks to make SMB go faster, but it is just _slow_. You may have better luck using dedicated transfer protocols with no filesystem overhead like FTP. (Or iSCSI of course *g*)

Also, are you sure it is not your hard drives that are the bottleneck? 20MB/s could easily be the limit for a badly fragmented drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.