Network Adapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This a generic question that I hope someone can help with:

I have a Dell 8250 that I have just re-formatted. I can not get online with it. It does not have the network adapter necessary to do this. i found a downloaded file that seems to be a driver, but not sure if it the correct one. I seem to remember being on the phone with Dell Tech Support in 2006. The file name is: Intel 10/100 LOM Driver Version A04.

Once it has been extracted and installed, the readme instructions say the following:

To reinstall the NIC driver for Windows XP, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, right click the My Computer icon, click Properties.

2. Click the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button.

3. Click the + next to Network Adapters.

Herein lies the problem: There is no listing for NETWORK ADAPTERS!

Can anyone help with this? This machine is definitely out of date, but i need to keep it for another few months, if possible. If I can not get online with it though, it will be pretty much useless.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I appreciate the reply. I have found this on Dell Support. However two problems:

1. I do not know if or how this can be downloaded to another computer and transferred to the computer with the problem, as the Dell in question does not have internet access.

2. This link does not address the problem regarding no Network Adapters showing up.

The link I gave you specifically says;

"1. Insert the Drivers and Utilities CD into the CD drive."

Being the trusting guy I am, I believed you had the proper support CDs that came with your Dell.

If NO Network Adapter is showing in Control Panel or in an Everest or similar system scan, then perhaps it has failed OR is not enabled in Bios.

I have all the support discs provided from dell, as well as an expired 4 yr extended warranty. the point I was trying to make in my original post regarding being on the phone with Dell, is that because the driver & or CD provided by Dell was a dud, I called them for tech support and hey provide me with the download info and a working driver.....I guess handling things in proper order, what i need to do is reinstall (somehow) the folder for Network Adapters. that is what I do not know how to do.....Can anyone help with that?.....Thanks again.

I just read post #1

Please confirm in CMOS settings that your Network adaptor in enabled
To get to CMOS settings
Turn computer on
You should see a prompt like press DEL or F2 or F10 to get to CMOS
Press the stated key within 3 secs
Go into CMOS settings
Enable the Network adaptor
Save and Exit

Once you have network working, you can also go here: Dell Drivers to update any/all drivers

edit:

Oh let me know if I got it right

Thanks for the tip. F2 gets me to System Setup where I can change boot sequence, System, Time, date, Drive info, etc. , CPU info, also. I've looked in each of the available items and do not see "Network Adapter" or anything like it...I also tried F8, F10 & del, but none of these opened up anything....I believe you are on to the right answer, if I can find where to engage the the Network Adapter.

Hmm
Not all CMOS settings have this enable/disable option

But I just read the thread again, and if you have just "re-formatted", then I cannot see why this setting would change (if it was working before - obviously yes)

Which leans back towards Drivers and Hardware issues.
Or corruption in Windows

Can you try this (takes about 30 - 45 mins)

Put your Windows CD back in
Boot from it (ie not in Windows)
But this time remove the partition

There is no need to create another partition
There is no need to format

Windows setup will automatically create a new NTFS formatted single partion, on a non-partitioned HardDrive

That is exactly what I'd if I were there :)

Oh, please let me know the outcome (I'd say network will be there :) )

I will try this although it will be a few days before I can try it and get back with you....Thank you for response. I will let you know when I get back. thanks!

Yep I'd say faulty partition (only through experience - I suspect I might get replies from other support stating this can't be it. Yes it can :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back