TechSpot

Network adaptor turning off

By Ace630
Dec 4, 2007
  1. I know I posted this in the motherboard forum but i now see there is a network forum to post it in so I thought it would be more sensible to post it here
    I have a wireless linksys network adaptor model WUSB54G ver 4
    Now it has been working fine for years but recently it has been turning itself off
    Now this seems to only happen in vista as i have another partion for xp and it never turns itself off on it
    The adaptor had worked fine on vista for a couple of months then out of nowhere it started turning off
    I had recently installed new drivers for it so i uninstalled them and installed the old drivers but with no effect
    I then tried a clean installion of vista again but still with no effect
    When it does turn off i can plug it inot another usb port and it will work fine but it still will turn itself off
    What I would like to know is, is there a problem with my usb ports or is this a vista problem or the adaptors problem

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

most NIC configurations have a Power feature to allow
    disabling power or performing a awake-up. turn all of this OFF

3. Ace630

Ace630 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

I checked it all and all of it was off
    I checked every usb port but only the ones the i plug the network adaptor turn off

Edit: Also up until a couple of months downloading torrents was fine until one day the speed went right down and now the speed of any torrent will get about 5k/b
    I tried different clients and different torrents and nothing
    I also tried downloading one on the computer that is connected to the router through a network cable and that will go at proper speed

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.