Network cable causes Explorer freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who asked me to look at one of their computers. They have a small network (around 5 computers) hooked up to a server. One of the computers has a issue where explorer.exe freezes and they can't open word or excel documents. After going through and trouble shooting as much as I could I found out that the computer works fine if I unplug the network cable prior to booting it up. I did a virus scan and well as a spybot scan. I made sure the xp and office 2007 updates where installed. Prior to me looking at it non of the office 2007 updates were installed. The system has a duel core processor with 2 gigs of ram with Xp pro SP3. The video card is integrated. All 5 of the computers are the same build but this one has the issue. All of the others run fine. Any thoughts?

Ok, well not sure why you want to tell us Office is updated :confused:
If you really want to update software, run Adobe and Java and things like that, but all this nothing to do with the network issue.

You must go to Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc
And confirm the Network device does not have a queried (yellow) mark on it
Also go to Start->Run-> ncpa.cpl
And confirm the network connection is enabled

Once that's confirmed, you should then update the network drivers from the computer's or motherboard's manufacture support driver page
You can find this info out, by using the following clickable links:
Please put your System Specs information in your Profile
If you have a brand name computer (like Dell; HP; or other) please place the Computer name & Model number in your Mobo field of your Profile

This may also be a faulty or corrupt Bios setting
To get into system Bios or CMOS Settings, you should notice a press "DEL" or "F2" (or other key) message on system startup
Once in Bios setup, locate "Defaults" and enable it
Then Save and Exit

Sometimes it's just a faulty onboard network device
In this case you may need to purchase a PCI Network card (to plug in internally)
Sometimes it's even a faulty PowerSupply, even though it still powers up, this may need to be tested with another known working one
Note: This is obviously in relation to a PC not laptop (still specs unknown)

Oh, I just had a thought, it may be a faulty network cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back