TechSpot

Network cable is being seen as unplugged

By Parrey
Nov 25, 2005
  1. I have just rehooked a computer back up to find that the network cable is not being detected and the lights near the ethernet port are not on either

i know its not the cable because the cable works with other comps (e.g the one i'm on now)

i know its not the router because i'm on it now

and i'm pretty sure its not the onboard lan because its being detected in my devices

so any help :(

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

Remove it from the devices, reboot. Check then. Are there any lights near it that come on when you plug it in?

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Try uninstalling your onboard ethernet adapter from your device manager, and reboot your computer.

Now reinstall the drivers.

Regards Howard :) :)

4. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 700

And if the excellent advice above does no good replace the cable...they do go bad.

patio. :cool:

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

If the cable works, then you might have a problem with your network jack.

The missing lights on you NIC are a sure sign of hardware failure somewhere. This means the cable is not trasmitting, which could be caused by an improper connection (bad cable, bad network card) or a missing link somewhere (messed up hub, router or modem). But either way you go, its hardware for sure.

6. Eddy Rassy

Eddy Rassy TS Rookie Posts: 106

The router should have a reset button, try resetting it.

7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

MMMMMMM
    push it in did you here a click
    wiggle it a little contacts in the nic could be bent away
    can you or did you try a loop back test on nic

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.