Network connection won't start up

Hi to all hope you help me with my problem regarding my friends desktop which he gave me. when I turn it on its never perform the normal operation and its only shows preparing for network connections... and i've been waiting for ages but never get through into the program.. I'll try putting my cable network directly from my router but again didn't works...help me please!!!!

desktop
os - windows xp professional
ATA Maxtor 6L200MO
203.928 GB

OK, for a start, go into Device Manager and click on the > next to Network Adapters and list the devices you see. Also observe if any of the devices have a red cross on them or a Yellow ? and state which device they relate to.

thank you for your response mark but the thing is I cant get through to the main menu because the computer was keeps on loading for ages So, what I did is keeps on reseting my pc and I end up to start up Menu option that is shown...

Press F10 for Recovery

Please select operating system to start

1. Microsoft Windows XP Home
2. or Safe Mode

Press F8 for Windows Trouble shooting

I'll try all the option but it doesn't work at all ...

thank's in advance!!!!

Sorry I misunderstood your english, not to worry.

Try this. You will have to go into the Bios first and set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order.

1.Boot from the XP disc and select "R" when asked to go into the Recovery Console.

2.Select the windows installation system you want to repair and hit Enter.You will then be asked for the administrator password. You will then reach the command prompt, type the following and then press Enter.

fixmbr

3.The fixmbr utility will write a master boot record to the hard drive that you're currently using to boot into Windows XP. This will repair any corruption or damage that the master boot record may have.

4.Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a corrupt master boot record was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

Back