Network Connections issues, can't connect to internet on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

Everytime I restart my computer this happens. I don't know why and it's REALLY annoying. Internet works perfectly while I keep my computer on, never cuts out or anything, but if I have to restart my computer for anything then it cuts off my internet and I have to go into the properties for the only network connection I have, which is an NVIDIA nForce gigabit adapter (mobo built-in), click update driver, tell it to look on my computer, and install one from the list of drivers on my computer. There are 2 NVIDIA drivers and a MS one. I've been through them all and all of them have the same problem. I don't think it's a driver issue, either, I think it's just that the driver doesn't load when I turn the computer back on. Every driver works perfectly, though.

It's getting really REALLY annoying, can someone please help me figure it out!?! And yes, I've tried installing the latest driver from Windows Update, but not NVIDIA themselves yet.

What brand of network router do you have, or what is your connection? Who is your provider?
Do you have the install software on disk? Who installed this system? You, or did you hire someone to do it for you.
Please tell us about your computer, configuration, and software installed as well.

Well, all the hardware sepcs are in my profile, so there's that.

Linksys WRT-54G, but I'm wired to it
it comes on a disc but there are default microsoft drivers for this chipset that ship with Vista
I built it.

And I don't see it being a router issue because my fiancee's pc is wireless and she has no problems, just mine. It hasn't done this always though, it recently started doing it.

When Windows starts it looks in certain places for your drivers to load.

As opposed to when you say "Update Drivers" when (as i vaguely recall) it can take a different search path as well as let you point it to a specific location.

MAYBE (dunno till we look) that's your problem and for some reason the driver isn't being found on the boot search but only when you point Windows to it (after searching all places on your computer)

>> First, rt click My Computer->Properties->Hardware
>> Click Driver Signing button
>> Is it set to Block? (if so, that might be your problem). Set it to Ignore or Warn (warn if you want to be prompted about unsigned drivers)
>> Check box to Make this action the default. Click OK to close

Reboot. Any chance the problem is solved? If not...

Next, let's see just what driver is installed after a reboot. As soon as it boots Device Manager-> Network Adapters. Rt click on your network adapter->Properties->Drivers. What does it say for your driver? (e.g. date, version, and does it say if it's digitially signed)

Now proceed to install the driver to make things work. Check on driver info again. Reboot. Back to the old settings? or what?

/* EDIT */
Ooops. just noticed your vista or driver signing button thingy not for vista. But not you can do the Properties->Advanced->Hardware and set if you want Windows Update to check for drivers (probably won't help in this case.. but note you can control it here)

Make sure that onboard NIC is set to 100TX Full Duplex, don't set it to 1000 or 1.0GB.. Or try a different port on your router. Remove any older driver or use the one from MS for Vista. Don't have two sets of different drivers on the system. Also remove the other driver under the safe mode to make sure it's gone. Sounds like a driver conflict is going on also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back