Network documentation

Jhong

I didn't know where to post this so, I taking a blind shot. I just started in a company where they don't have documentation of the network connected to which computer, data jack, patch panel number, and switch, and etc... Can anyone tell me where I can get a template or outline for this? Any help would be appreciated.

No one at this company can help you with this? If not, take some time to document this yourself

They never had documentation. Even the network consulting company don't keep documentation. At least they say they don't have documentation.

Lucky you - - you get to impress them that you KNOW documentation is important AND know how to create it.

Suggest an EXCEL spreadsheet stored on the DC server in an admin only directory.

Btw: *IF* the cabling was correctly installed in the first place

every room or cube with computers should have a wall plate with a
label next to EACH plug. That label identifies (one way or another) where the far end terminates (eg P-b-14; frame P row b slot 14 or some such scheme).

The cable room should have similar labels, noting where the far end is located
(A-1-c15; building A, first floor, cube 15).

The patch panels are where the cube cable terminate and the connection to the switch or router can be changed without moving the cables from the cubes.

I'm sure this is obvious to anyone working in this environment, but I note it here as background for those who do not.

Thanks all for the input. I have a lot of work to do. Unfortunately, the server room wires looks messy and unorganized to say politely. So back to work I go.

An excellent time to get some easy unsupervised overtime. Show your boss a photo of the current state, and show a photo of a neat rack (google). Easy free money to just chill at work on a weekend slowly moving things into order and documenting.

Back