TechSpot

Network latency test

By dannydy
Aug 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Beside of Ping and tracert cmd, IS that any tool which i can use to test network latency?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,333   +622

on windows pathping
    let it run to completion and you get a better picture ot the path to your destination.

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

I use tools like LAN TEST to test the amount of packets being send from WiFi 802.11G, 802.11N and Wired 10/100/1000 to see how well the systems are doing. LAN TEST is Windows app there is a free and paid version. Free is good still I use that. You can simulate files storage on one system to test dump of packet files to a test rig.

LAN SPYis another free tool to test your network and discover what's on there. I use to use that in corporate enterprise to see which systems did get the update patch for SP1.

4. dannydy

dannydy TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 136

Thanks guys...i think that would be enough for me to conduct my network latency testing.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

Good luck on the test! There is one more app you can use it's command base those but works very well. You run it as host server and remote client.
    So you start it on one PC on your network then on the other one you test the packet you need to run for your test.

[​IMG]

Found here

Here's LAN SPEED TEST

[​IMG]

Here's LAN SPY TEST

[​IMG]

6. dannydy

dannydy TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 136

Ok Thanks a lot, lets do some hands on to see which one
    is the suit for me...:)

7. sahaya

sahaya TS Rookie

i tried ping test here
    whoisxy.com
    my results are
    Reply from 173.203.189.224: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Ping statistics for 173.202.190.224:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

8. Varun

Varun TS Rookie

ping (Packet InterNet Groper) is a utility used to verify if a network data packet is capable of being distributed to an address without errors. The ping utility is commonly used to check for network errors.

Network Latency Test

9. lennyk

lennyk TS Rookie

If you're looking for a web based tool, you can try http://pingtest.net/ (made by the SpeedTest guys). I had some problems using various VoIP services, and found out I was dropping a lot of packets with this tool.