Network performance problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Greetings!
On a network of only two machines (1 laptop and 1 desktop), both running XP Pro SPII and linked through an ADSL modem router, both machines have developed an irritating slow down in performance. The desktop acts as a server (in truth a file store) for both machines. An example of the problem is that if one user is typing into Word on one machine and another is typing into an email, both machines feel as if they have to wait for the other one before the next keystroke is accepted.
There are no reports of errors on either machine, network or otherwise. Both machines run Kaspersky IS 2009 and are new within the last 12 months.

Any ideas, anyone??

Curiousity data point: In the example you gave, it sounds like the ISP connection has either no part or little part in the problem? Does this seem true?
  • Do you tend to have similar results whether the ISP cable is connected or not?
  • Have you tried running Process Explorer to get the real-time view of how your process time is being allocated? As well as i/o, etc. to try to determine the bottle necks by a rea;-time view/feedback
  • If bottleneck seems to be software/CPU one nice advantage of Process Explorer: you can find the correct symbol table from Microsoft for your build environment and load it. Then, if your problem appears to be a proccess and CPU issue, PE lets you drill down a further level: view the # of context switches between threads in a process. Has sometimes been enough to help me find the true culprit

The culprits are not here so I cannot check your excellent idea. I am not familiar with Process Explorer so will grab it and have a play on my own machines to see what it is all about - sounds really useful - thanks!

I'll give the you instructions i;ve come to just from using the tool myself in the past for the testing
  1. A bit of system scrubbing/housecleaning
  2. Installing and tool setup
  3. Description of some tool features and how to use/interpret them

Start with basic housingcleaning
  1. Use CCleaner to remove internet cache and other system temp space
  2. Verify you're running the latest version of Java. Use Add/Remove to uninstall any prior versions
  3. Review your system startups and what you really need running (or at minimum KNOW what you really have started and possbily running in the backgroup.) Disable those things you don't want. Best tool to see and control all startups Autoruns. If that's too much detail, try Startup Control Panel. You'll find a good database on Startup programs here (as one often doesn't recognize what something is based solely on name)
  4. Don;t have Explorer automatically go searching for all your network shares immediately (generally wastes more time then it saves, in my opinion) Explorer->Tools->Folder Options-View. Uncheck Automatically search for network folders and printers
  5. Defrag your hard space
  6. Defrag your pagefile
NOW you can download/setup Process Explorer to check on CPU usage and other metrics
  • Install Process Explorer
  • Click Options and set Hide when Minimized, Allow Only One Instance, Confirm Kill, CPU History in Tray Icon
  • Whenever PE is open, you can click CPU column header to see processes sorted by CPU usage. When usage high, check top of the list, OR
  • Minimize PE. Note the red and green waves through its system tray icon. Hover cursor over the icon to get the info
    • Green indicates total CPU usage
    • Red indicates the process using most the most the CPU time
      So you see at the time this snapshot was taken CPU Usage was 100% and the process using most of it was Outlook.exe at 83%
      peicon.jpg
  • To automatically start Process Explorer minimized so you have thsi convenient real-time view of CPU Usage from start-up
    • Use Lin's Startup Control Panel (mentioned above)
    • Under HKLM/Run, rt click New. Click in Enter the path to the program, click to Browse Files[/b], select procexp.exe and at very end of the path/file string append the argument: /t. This instructs Process Explorer to start automatically at boot up and start minimized
Will have to followup later with part3 data to explain its various features/how to use.

Pardon the double post but since has taken me awhile to update the thread, thought it would provide you a "bump" via email notification that the change occured. (Click a thumbnail to see full image)

Here's just a few of the powerful analysis tools it offers (and all within an incredibly lightweight process especially given all that it does)
  1. Configure the Windows symbol table
  2. View a process' active file handles
    View->Show Lower Pane, View->Lower Pane View->Handles, Update Speed->5 seconds
  3. Click any graph to see real-time System Information

4. In Process Explorer, select a process, rt click Properties, click Threads tab. Select a thread and then
    • Click Module for module on that thread
    • Click Stack to see the thread's stack

An example of the problem is that if one user is typing into Word on one machine and another is typing into an email, both machines feel as if they have to wait for the other one before the next keystroke is accepted.
not good.Until you hit SEND, there should be no interaction between the Internet and your keyboard responsiveness!

This smacks of a keylogger. start this process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back