Network printer via wireless and Vista 64 connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyrreh

Hello.
I've got a terrible problem with my new laptop running Vista 64-bit version and my network printer at work.
The printer is an old combo Konica Minolta di2011. Unfortunately it's no longer supported and there are no drivers for the 64-bit Vista (although I've seen the 32-bit ones, but don't know if the work).

The printer is connected to the network by a printer router - D-Link DP-301P+. And via this device's wireless the printer is connected to other computers at my workplace.

When I had my old notebook, running Win XP Pro, there was no problem with connecting to the printer. Everything was done automatically - the drivers were downloaded and configured, and the printer was ready almost immediately.

But with my new notebook, running Vista 64-bit, something is very wrong. I see my router in the Network connections. And I am able to connect to it, and browse to the printer icon. But when I try to connect to the printer itself I get an error message: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Make sure that you have typed the name correctly, and that the printer is connected to network".

Don't know what is the root of this problem. The driver? But I didn't even have a chance to select one! It looks like it just can't connect to the printer...

Is there a way to get around this problem? Even without the Vista 64-bit printer drivers?

We've got a PC here, that runs all the time on Win XP. Maybe there is a way that I could connect to this PC and order my printing task via its Win XP? Or is this just my fantasy that this kind of thing is possible?

I would be very grateful for all your tips and advice. Thanks in advance!
(and sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker)

Try the Vista32 driver

Hi Zyrreh

Personally I would try to install the 32 bit driver application. Microsoft say they support 32 bit applications as a fallback. And then I would create a Standard TCP/IP port to the printer. If it complains you could go into port properties and put it on LPR with portname "print", enable byte counting and disable SNMP bidirectional comunication.

The printer you have is a GDI which means it uses the computer to create the image. Unless you have the optional PCL controller. In that case you could use just about any PCL driver.

Hi Zyrreh

Personally I would try to install the 32 bit driver application. Microsoft say they support 32 bit applications as a fallback. And then I would create a Standard TCP/IP port to the printer. If it complains you could go into port properties and put it on LPR with portname "print", enable byte counting and disable SNMP bidirectional comunication.

The printer you have is a GDI which means it uses the computer to create the image. Unless you have the optional PCL controller. In that case you could use just about any PCL driver.
I think those option apply to a directly attached or shared printer which is directly attached. As I read the O.P., the printer is connected to the router with a Print Server adaptor and thus has its own IP address, not a share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back