Network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrederikNeertof

Hey guys. I have a problem with one of the computers on my network. It will connecet to the wireless and LAN connection, but the connection is only local, I can see the other computers on the network, but I cannot connect to the internet myself. Yet all of the other computers on the network works perfectly.
Weird thing is that it happened just suddenly.

I think I must've tried almost everything by now (well everything I had in my mind), resetting the router, turning off and on the network card, reparing the connection, updating the network driver and the list goes on..

It's a HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop, and the network card is Intel Pro Wireless.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Best regards, Fred

In addition to the firewall suggestion, have you recently installed any new programs? Are your antivirus and antispyware up to date and showing a clean system?

I am using Comodo Firewall.
I have tried turning it off and checking if its blocking it, nothing helps. Same with Windows Firewall.

No, I haven't installed any programs lately.

Could it be that the network card has been damaged?

I suggest testing the DNS function. In the browser, use the numeric form of the URL address such as 64.108.225.6 It is a local ISP [ svs.com ].

Since the router was addressable, it appears that the card is working.

If DNS is not working, it can still be the firewall, unless you are sure that it was totally disabled.

RHOST file may contain abnormal values.... intercepting IP addresses and URL names and redirecting them to the local ip address. Ths is symptomatic of malware.

Edit feature not available. Too much time has elapsed?

RHOST is incorrect.
Path & file
windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Spybot Search & Destroy (SS&D) uses this file to block access to sites it considers harmful. Malware uses this file to hijack your browser.

Hey guys. I have a problem with one of the computers on my network. It will connecet to the wireless and LAN connection, but the connection is only local, I can see the other computers on the network, but I cannot connect to the internet myself. Yet all of the other computers on the network works perfectly.
Weird thing is that it happened just suddenly.

I think I must've tried almost everything by now (well everything I had in my mind), resetting the router, turning off and on the network card, reparing the connection, updating the network driver and the list goes on..

It's a HP Pavillion dv9000 laptop, and the network card is Intel Pro Wireless.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Best regards, Fred

XP or Vista?

TCP/IP did you make sure that the metric is set to the router IP address. Can this laptop access the internet through wired connection? That's where I would start first. Get that going then remove the LAN cable and see if you still can connect? If you can't driver could be bad, un-install it reboot login back re-install it. STill doesn't work then, Issue with hardware. What you could do is get a PCMICA wireless card and test it in the laptop to make sure it can connect. If it does then you know hardware problem internal with the built-in wireless.

Vista uses discovery more and it has to be set to private network instead of public. Network map should give you an idea of where you're at. Under Vista it's a bit more tricky to get going. I had some issues with HP laptop and Vista Business SP1, but got it working.

tipstir said:
Vista uses discovery more and it has to be set to private network instead of public.
The new Discovery stuff is not a requirement to get this working; the Private is.

Print/File sharing work just as in XP and have all the same settings (eg ports, workgroups, sharing)
In Vista, you can disable SSDP Service, UPnP Device Host and whatever else arrives
with the Discovery feature .

'Discovery' is a heavy price to pay just to get a Network Map, given that Network Magic does quiet well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back