Network Problems

By JT16
Oct 19, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi!

I am new here but am hoping you guys can help me with a really annoying problem...

First let me give you my 'puter specs...

Dell Dimension 8250
    Windows XP SP3

Alright...

I got this computer from a friend for free, and got it all set up. But I found out the built in Ethernet port was not working. So I went out and got a Belkin F5D5000 v2000 Desktop PCI card...installed it and was happily connected to the internet. :)
    But I started getting the little pop up window saying "Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Disconnected" every couple minutes or at random. :(
    The cable is the one that came with our DSL modem and I can't see any problems with the connections. I have searched the internet and havent gotten a real answer.
    I tried unchecking the box for the power option but that didn't help. The odd thing is, somedays it does it constantly, other days only a couple times. I am really annoyed though because I will be talking online and the pop up balloon with appear and I wont be able to hear the person I am talking to for just the duration of the baloon....it doesnt shut me down or log me out but it is just downright annoying.

Any ideas? Thanks! :)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +156

Have you disabled the on-board ethernet port?
  3. JT16

JT16 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Nope...not that I know of...
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +156

You need to disable the port...
  5. JT16

JT16 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

How do I do that?
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,366   +167

Control Panel->Network ConnectionsYou should see a connection there with the same name as in the warning"Local Area Connection". Rt click on it, select Properties.Now select Disabled
  7. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TechSpot Maniac Posts: 480

If that does not work, do try swapping in a known working cable for the one that you viusally inspected. The removal and reinsertion of a cable during a move can loosen a crimp enough to cause intermittencies and it may not be visible to the eye. That is why many of my corporate clients (IT Managers) refuse to re-use cables once they have been removed from a device. Given the cheap cost of cables, it is not worth re-using one, especially considering how hard it is to troubleshoot an intermittent cable problem in a server room.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.