Network Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankcpl

I Have a Network with 25 clients on it. There is a Server 2003 R2 as Active Directory. Client are pulling a valid IP Address, but can not access the web. Any Ideas

describe the topology of the net (ie from the ISP, what devices are between
it and the lowest client). Can any/all ping your ISP?

Line comes in from ISP to Server to switch to clients. All clients can ping the server access shared resouces on net, but cannot access internet.

frankcpl said:
Line comes in from ISP to Server to switch to clients. All clients can ping the server access shared resouces on net, but cannot access internet.
So the Server has (2) NICs, one upstream, one downstream to the switch.
How are you assigning IP addresses (Static vs DHCP from where)?
Are you running ICS on the server?

Please report ipconfig /all on both NICs of the server.

I have the downstream from ISP to automatically pull IP, then upstream from internal network is set to static. The server does have internet, but all internal computers do not have internet.

Thanks for the quick responses.

ICS will not work with the routing an remote services running, I have tried to disable the RRAS and run ICS, still will not work.

how can I copy and paste the IPCONFIG /ALL

I had the same problem, I was using the same Server as a Router with Active Directory, DNS, DHCP and NAT. Now with your Server 2003 are you running DHCP, DNS also NAT features? Are you running ISP throught the Server to to the 25 clients?

frankcpl said:
I have the downstream from ISP to automatically pull IP, then upstream from internal network is set to static. The server does have internet, but all internal computers do not have internet.

ICS will not work with the routing an remote services running, I have tried to disable the RRAS and run ICS, still will not work.

Ok; you have a routing issue.
Devices downstream(clients) get only up to the
Server and do not pass-thru to the ISP. ICS would have done that, but it's a
poor choice anyway.

You will need NAT services to allow your client systems to get results back
from the Internet; ie: you need a router.

I suggest a layout like this
Code:
ISP --> router ---> server
             +
             + ---- switch -->clients
This reduces the expense and the setup requirements for you while
adding the NAT support and access to both the Internet and the Server.

Normally, the clients would get DHCP support from the router, but if you
like static addresses, that's ok -- just more work for you.

frankcpl said:

do this
start
run
type: cmd
c:\> type: ipconfig /all >c:\network.txt

now do this

start
run
type: notepad c:\network.txt

tipstir said:
I had the same problem, but the Server 2003 are you running DHCP, DNS also NAT features? Are you running ISP throught the Server to to the 25 clients?
I am running DHCP, DNS, and NAT(withing Routing and remote services). Yes the 25 clients goes through a switch which is connected to the server.

Another simple but kind of silly question, but did the Internet ever work on the clients?

The most obvious problem could be with the server's RAS configuration. Of course, this wouldn't make sense if it was working just fine earlier and quit working without being modified. You could try to discard current RAS configuration and recreate it to help rule out a configuration problem, just in case it has been tinkered with.

Also, this is far out there, but how about the possibility of a rogue DHCP server? Have you checked the gateway on the workstations to make sure they have your server's LAN address?

Also, something as simple as a client enabling ICS on their computer could throw off the whole network's internet connectivity, if your server's IP address is 192.168.0.1.

It's a bit of a stretch, but just some food for thought until we can see your ipconfig /all and possible some more info as we go along.

The server should be able to see internet correct, but the clients don't see it right? The server should be assigned a Static IP address and the rest of the clients should be DHCP.

Can you see the clients PC in AD, DNS and the NAT did you assign a scope for these clients. Something isn't right then you missed a step somewhere.. Once you get it running it's a lot faster than doing it the other way use those routers.. As 2003 Server can be your router...

frankcpl said:
just report the IP address + subnet mask for each

On a Command Prompt
right-click the window-frame icon in the upper left -> properties
the lower right Edit Options should ALL BE CHECKED
allow this to be active forever.

get the ipconfig /all
select the data to be copied
go to the window-frame icon in the upper left
click and pull down to EDIT->copy

now go to any document and use the PASTE feature

frankcpl said:
I am running DHCP, DNS, and NAT(withing Routing and remote services). Yes the 25 clients goes through a switch which is connected to the server.
then move the switch to the Router Side :) and enable DHCP from there.

the problem is routing THRU the server. PERIOD. If you wish, you could also perform ROUTE ADD.

Don't use a hammer to swap a fly here :)

Thanks for all your replies. I have been put on hold with this issue. One of the employees said that Comcast will not allow a set up of
modem to server to internal network. They called comcast and then reported to the Admin, so they put me on hold till they get an static IP from the ISP.

Which that shouldn't matter right?

I don't think that the RAS was messed with, but who knows. I will redo it just in case. I will post the IP config soon as I can.

From a client PC, try pinging the following:

ping 203.2.75.2
ping www.google.com

If they can ping 1 but not the other, it is a DNS problem. Does this post relate to your other post RE: DNS lookups on your server?

Try tracert 203.2.75.2 and tracert www.google.com also, see where it can get to and where it stops.

mikescorpio81 said:
From a client PC, try pinging the following:

ping 203.2.75.2
ping www.google.com

If they can ping 1 but not the other, it is a DNS problem. Does this post relate to your other post RE: DNS lookups on your server?

Try tracert 203.2.75.2 and tracert www.google.com also, see where it can get to and where it stops.
check your ipconfig /all first; it will go nowhere without a DNS entry (which btw, you can add manually)

Im guessing that in an ipconfig /all the DNS server will most likely be the DC within the network. There was another post I was reading from frankcpl where he basically wants his DC to do DNS lookups. I believe a setting or two within forwarders or somewhere through the configure a dns server option is wrong and the server is forwarding DNS requests to an unknown place.
The server should forward the requests to the router/firewall or whatever device holds the ISP information. Within this device there will be dns servers listed.
Try logging into this device and try to ping the dns servers listed. If they are pingable via a PC with a working internet connection then all is good. But the path the client takes to find where www.google.com is for example, should go something like this:
Client requests to its DNS server (DC) - DC forwards request to router or ISP-details device (firewall or modem, whatever) - device forwards request on to its DNS server.

mikescorpio81 said:
Im guessing that in an ipconfig /all the DNS server will most likely be the DC within the network. ----
GOOD!

For an environment with a Domain Controller or LDAP, the DNS lookup would be
Code:
client -->port 53 --> Domain DNS (ie internal) --> foward to ISP if not found
      <-----   return local service info                          |
                                                                  |
      <------------------return public service info  -----
For DHCP to create this flow, the infrastructure would also provide the DHCP service too.

For home users it's
Code:
client --> ISP 
or in some cases
client -->local router address --> foward to ISP

frankcpl said:

There is anoter way as well, right click the top bar of your cmd window, go to edit and choose mark, this will allow you to highlight text with in the comand prompt to copy. Unfortunatley, you have to right click copy/paste as Ctrl+c/v will not work within the prompt.

When you mark within a command prompt and highlight what you want to copy, hit ENTER. This will copy the highlighted text.

hanks for all the help. I have implemented alot of changes with no relief. here is the ipconfig records.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.FBCOB2>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FBCMAINSERVER
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : fbcob2
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : fbcob2
hsd1.ms.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Private:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS
VBD Client) #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-4C-D4-FB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ms.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS
VBD Client)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-8B-4C-D4-F9
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.64.131.128
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.64.128.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.16
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.162
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 19, 2007 11:07:53 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 23, 2007 11:07:53 AM

Hopefully this will help ya'll help me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back