Network says it's connected, but it's not

jephph

I've got a computer that can't get online. There are many things I've tried, but this one's pretty tough. The computer says the LAN is connected, and the network adapters are functional in Device Manager. Here is a list of things I've done/checked:
*Checked basics like "Automatically detect settings" under LAN settings and Obtain IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Server automatically.
*Used IE and Chrome, and tried updating programs online.
*Other devices connect fine to router. I tried powercycling both the router and modem. The computer also has a wireless PCI card, so I tried that as well. It shows as connected, but still nothing. Also tried different router and modem. I can't get into the router settings either. Also tried different ethernet cables.
*Ran malware scans with Spybot and Malwarebytes. Couldn't update Malwarebytes, got "database is missing or corrupt" error.
*Ran AVG Scan
*Tried Safe Mode with Networking
*Winsock fix
*lspfix
*System Restore
*Turned off Zone Alarm
*Temporarily disabled AVG
*Network Diagnostics gives "Contact the company that provides you Windows XP Product Support"
*Commands: netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ip reset reset.log, ipconfig gives "An internal Error occured. The request is not supported.
*Thought maybe AVG moved a network file to virus vault so I restored some infected files.

Any help is much appreciated.

It's not an answer but you could concentrate on trying to access the router settings. Until you can do that you're not going to get back on the internet. Re-check the instructions for the router's ip address.

bazz2004, I can access the router from a different computer. I don't think accessing it from the broken computer is key. Anyway, even if I'm connected straight to the modem, it does the same thing.

wrt54gs7, ipconfig gives me the error mentioned in op

It does sound tricky. Perhaps not great that you have released some infected files from the vault. Did anything significant happen prior to your losing the network connection?

I think I've found the culprit. When I was checking services, and noticed that DHCP, DNS, etc. were not started, I went to device manager, clicked "show hidden devices" and under non-plug and play drivers, "IP network address translator" and "tcp/ip protocol driver" had yellow exclamation marks on them. I uninstalled tcp/ip protocol driver thinking that it would reinstall it automaticallly on reboot, but it didn't and now I have no tcp/ip protocol driver in device manager, and still can't get online.
I know I've caused more trouble, but at least we know the problem now. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

sfc /scannow did the trick!

I couldn't run it earlier because it wouldn't run without an XP cd. I used one that I had laying around, but then it wouldn't let me back in because it said that Windows wasn't activated, so I had to deal with that before I found out if it worked. Thank you very much!

Back