TechSpot

Networked Printers

By Kingbeazer
Nov 24, 2008
  1. I have set up a wired and wireless network at work with a number of printers attached. The problem is that the computers need to be booted up in a certain sequence in order for the printers to be connected. Is there a way i can help keep my printers connected and or is there an easier way to reconect a disconnected printer. At the moment i need to reboot the machine that has lost its connection.

Thanks

Alan

2. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

You need to elaborate

1. Approx how many computers on your network? (wired vs. wireless)
    2. Are they all a mix XP and/or Vista?
    3. How many printers? How is each printer connected (i.e. are they wired network printers or do they connect to a computer?)
    4. Does your network use a single subnet? or does it use multiple subnets? (if multiple subnets, you need state what computer and printer is on which subnet)

3. Kingbeazer

Kingbeazer TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thought someone might say that

There are 4 wired pc's and 3 wireless laptops. Printer 1 is connected to pc 1, printer 2 is connected to PC 2. Other PC's connect to printers through the network. If i switch on PC 1 then PC 2 then the rest of the PC's, all PC's and Printers work fine except Printer 2 on PC 1. This is confusing me so i hope you are following.

There is just one subnet, nothing fancy - all the printers work fine and if i go into the properties of printer 2 on PC 1 and print a test page this seems to fix the problem, but i want them to work all the time and not need this.

Does this make sense?

4. LookinAround

Diagrams or a simple list makes it Easier. Something like (note use of periods as Techspot ignores multiple spaces.

Computer.......OS........NetCnctType............LocalPrinter
    .....1...............xp......... .Wired......................Prntr1
    .....2.............Vista....... .Wired......................Prntr2

Are the two printers currently connected to Wired computers? If not, is there a reason they can't be?

and if you could complete the above will make it easy to refer to things by a name/label

*** EDit******
    Changed CnctType to NetCnctType as is clearer

5. Kingbeazer

Kingbeazer TS Rookie Topic Starter

1............xp............Wired..............PTR1
    2............xp............Wired..............PTR2
    3............xp............Wired..............No Printer
    4............xp............Wired..............No Printer
    Etc

If i can fix the problem on these PC's i will be fine with others.

When i start up PC 3 then PC 2 then PC1 none of the printers work over the network. They work locally but not on the network. If i do NET Use on command prompt it says they are not connected.

6. LookinAround

OK. I have a clearer picture now (and the info provided at least rules out a set of potential issues i had in mind)

Next is elaborate how the remote printer was setup for each PC. Typically
    - you bought printers which came with drivers on CD
    - you install the local printer and its drivers
    - Then on each remote PC you use the ADD PRINTER wizard to establish the remote printer access

1. Was the above true in your case or do something different? can you tell me the make / model of each printer
    2. You mention NET USE. are you using that simply to try and get status info or were NET functions somehow used during the install process?
    3. Can you elaborate on just what the error is when you say the "don't connect" or the specific error message u see.

I gotta step away for a short while so fyi in expecting next reply

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.