Networking a printer

By Jhong
Nov 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'm trying to network a Dell 1130n USB printer with 2 PC's running windows XP Pro & 1 windows 7 PC. I have the printer connected to the PC that is running windows 7. I changed all the PC's name to workgroup. I'm guessing where I get getting stuck at is when I go to printer properties, add "additional drivers...", try to add another processor, it gives me a window that says "Please provide a printer driver. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK." Then it gives me a drop down box to "copy files from: " Where do I get the ".inf" file that its looking for and what is it called? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Happy Thanksgiving all!
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,150   +597

same place where you installed the Printer in the first place - - the CD.
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Add the driver from the CD to one of your network system on a share. That's how I do it also done on domain too. But since most users have workgroup networks then you can do the same.

TCP - add make: DELL, model: 1130n search for drivers: \\computer1\printer\drivers\dell\1130n\xxxx

That's it.. Or you use the CD for each PC like suggested above.
  4. Jhong

Jhong TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

According to the people in the remote branch, the printer was plug & play so they didn't have to use a CD to install the drivers for the printer. Can As for the TCP/IP number, where do I get that for the printer?
  5. Jhong

Jhong TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

The Dell 1130n printer is connected via USB, will that connect to the network?
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,150   +597

normally NO. USB is a PC connection and that kind of attachment needs the PC running and Print/File sharing to be enabled.

To network attach (as in connecting to a router) requires an Ethernet connection and
    the firmware to configure it.