Networking from building to building

First off I will tell you what my goal is and then what I have tried and any comments or ideas are greatly appreciated.

At our church we recently got dsl, since I am the tech guy, I got asked to tackle the challenge. We are trying to get dsl at our parsonage as well, which is aprox 50 yds away.

This is what I have done. From our dsl modem I have hooked up a router for the normal operations in the church. Also from this router I have ran cat V to a wireless router next to an exterior wall. The wireless N router has a detatchable antenna, so I got an ext. cable and placed the omni antenna on the ext. of the building. That antenna didnt seem to have much range so I bought a high gain yagi antenna. Now the range is good, but the parsonage next door is brick. The signal seems to register on the computer but no internet access. The internet works fine on the outside, I guess brick and wifi dont mix.

My question is what would you suggest, get a second yagi and go into and access point? They want wireless in the house. Also since it is a different building , but has the same phone number would it be possible to have two seperate dsl modems?

Any help is appreciated, Im ok with direct wireless, but wireless to wireless and access points, I dont have a clue.

Thanks, Shane

good work (so far).

recommend you use a LAPTOP to verify the remote connectivity.

First, config the laptop so as to connect to your secondary router (ie: wireless router next to an exterior wall).
To avoid routing complexity; wire your connections like this
Code:
dsl.modem==primary.router(lan)----cat5---(lan)secondary.router)
notice that the secondary.router connects to the primary using a LAN slot, not the typical WAN connection.
This will allow all systems on your lan (regardless of wired/wifi, or which router they connect to) to use the same ip subnet
(ie all devices will have the first three values of the ip address identical; 192.168.1.x)

To do this, connect a system to the secondary.router (and nothing else connected to it),
access the internal config of the router and disable the DHCP service.
The primary router will then control all IP addresses for the devices.

[a]Either or both routers may use wifi too:)
TRICK: use different channels, same WPA phrase, and make both SSIDs similar, but unique (ie: parishA vs parishB)

Now reconnect the routers and verify the laptop can connect to the secondary.router when it is in the same room. Now step across the yard (but still outside) and verify you're still connected.
Walk inside and try to get connected again.

They want wireless in the house. Also since it is a different building , but has the same phone number would it be possible to have two seperate dsl modems?
nope.

To get WiFi within the house you need another device (an Access Point or a router that supports BRIDGE mode)... like this
Code:
dsl.modem==primary.router ---cat5---secondary.router - - - wifi 2 house--Access.Point - - wifi within the building
Use [a] above to segregate the A/P too :)

Thanks for the info I was pretty sure that a second dsl modem wouldnt work. Any suggestions on a good bridgable router? Definately going to need an exterior antenna for this one.

Back