TechSpot

Networking question

By ingeborgdot
Aug 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have two computers that I would like to be able to connect to one another if possible. One is being used as a music and video server with my Russound Cav6.6 whole house audio video system. The other is in the office.
    The computer in the a/v room is running XP Pro SP3 and the office is Vista Ultimate 64bit. I am connected through a 2wire router and am hard wired and not wireless. What I want to be able to do is access music and videos off the office computer. I would also like to control and work with a program called Casa Tunes that the A/V computer has on it. The problem that I am having right now is that it recognizes the computers on the network but it won't let me in. I have been able to connect before but I can't seem to now. Is there something I might be missing? Thanks.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

concentrate on getting file sharing fixed and then address the a/v (DRM) issues.

create a folder on each system and place some simple files in both: eg notepad documents, gifs and jpgs if you have any.

Share the file on each system.

Now try to access systemA-->systemB\Shared Folder Name and conversley.

When this works, you can assess if DRM is getting in the way.

3. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 756

Well, I got it now so it does not give that it can't connect but it comes up with the box that says username and password. The problem is when I put in the username and password it changes the user name to the computer name and then the username and then it won't do anything that I can tell.

4. jobeard

Code:
    when on this system         and      accessing this one
        systemA                              systemB\SharedFolder

the user/password needed
        systemB-login\password

5. ingeborgdot

I can ping the other computer and do a remote desktop connection without any problem but I can't just connect to the other computer without remote. I will keep on trying and see what the heck is wrong.

6. ingeborgdot

I got it to work from the Media pc to the office pc. (xp to vista).
    I can't get it to work from the vista pc to the xp pc. I must need to do something more in the xp machine to allow access.

7. jobeard

8. ingeborgdot

I can get it from the vista machine but not from the xp machine. I can see the folders on my other machine from my vista machine but just can't access them.

9. jobeard

use the Control Panel -> Windows Firewall

Click Enable Firewall; then

On the exception tab; check File and Print Sharing
    Click OK

10. ingeborgdot

That is already done. That is why I am frustrated. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

11. ingeborgdot

I tried mapping the drive but this is what happened.
    The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: Not enought server storage is available to process this command

12. jobeard

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.