TechSpot

Networking through router with Win2k & WinXP...

By codered
Aug 19, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I did a search through this site before posting, but I couldnt find the answer to my problem.

I have 2 computers, 1 is a PC w/ win2k, the other a laptop with winXP that I just purchased. I have a linksys router which I have connected them to. Both of them are able to get to the internet with no problem, but I cannot get them to see each other or try to connect. I read somewhere that win2k has additional security that wont allow for other computers to connect to it except for other win2k machines. is this true? how do I get them to network and share data?

any and all help is greatly appriciated, thank you in advance...
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,412   +316

1) sharing is set by right clicking the folder to be shared-> properties
    2) click the Sharing tab
    3) click Share this folder and enter a name that will show up on the client systems
    4) IF/only/IF you what to allow others to modify the contents of this folder,
    click allow users to change

click Apply and then OK

CAVEOTS:
    you can only share that which YOU own.
    you can NOT share C:\Windows
    your firewill will need to allow port 139 & 445 access from your LAN
    but MUST exclude all other IP addresses

As an Admin, I have shared
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents as SharedDocs
    across Win/XP SP2, Win/98/se, and Mac OS X in this manner

do some googling for 'XP file sharing' and go slowly.
  3. codered

codered TS Rookie Topic Starter

Got it working, I had zonealarm installed on both machines and they were denying access, that was why they couldnt get across. Thanks again for your help. I learned something the hard way!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.