TechSpot

Networking through router with Win2k & WinXP...

By codered
Aug 19, 2005
  1. I did a search through this site before posting, but I couldnt find the answer to my problem.

I have 2 computers, 1 is a PC w/ win2k, the other a laptop with winXP that I just purchased. I have a linksys router which I have connected them to. Both of them are able to get to the internet with no problem, but I cannot get them to see each other or try to connect. I read somewhere that win2k has additional security that wont allow for other computers to connect to it except for other win2k machines. is this true? how do I get them to network and share data?

any and all help is greatly appriciated, thank you in advance...

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

1) sharing is set by right clicking the folder to be shared-> properties
    2) click the Sharing tab
    3) click Share this folder and enter a name that will show up on the client systems
    4) IF/only/IF you what to allow others to modify the contents of this folder,
    click allow users to change

click Apply and then OK

CAVEOTS:
    you can only share that which YOU own.
    you can NOT share C:\Windows
    your firewill will need to allow port 139 & 445 access from your LAN
    but MUST exclude all other IP addresses

As an Admin, I have shared
    \Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents as SharedDocs
    across Win/XP SP2, Win/98/se, and Mac OS X in this manner

do some googling for 'XP file sharing' and go slowly.

3. codered

codered TS Rookie Topic Starter

Got it working, I had zonealarm installed on both machines and they were denying access, that was why they couldnt get across. Thanks again for your help. I learned something the hard way!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.