Networking troubles....need help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,

im havin some trouble with my home network. usually i can fix it but this ones got me stumped. i am trying to connect another computer to my desktop via a pci ethernet card. here's my setup (both running xp):

Cable Modem---->Netgear Router---->My Desktop----->New Computer.

the desktop is connected to the router via an onboard ethernet slot. i have a crossover cable between the new computer and the desktop. it wont share the internet connection. The new one says the lan is connected while the desktop says that the ethernet card has little or no connectivity. i want to be able to access the new computer from my desktop via remote access, or ill buy a kvm switch. it will be used for files etc

wats going on?? how do i fix it???

cheers in advance guys.

Ok, first off, why are you running your 'New Computer' through your 'My Desktop'? Why not run them both through the router? I would think this would be much easier.
Have the router be the DHCP server and once that is established and both machines have their own IP address you can setup remote administration within XP. I have this setup at home now and it works wonderfully.

Anyway, let me know if this is even achievable and I'll tyr to post more detail if needed.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Try running the New Computer off the router. That's what I did before. I think what you may be doing in the Desktop -> New Computer link is to use 'Internet Connection Sharing' - which in my opinion unneccessarily complicates the whole picture.

maybe with this config
router lan ip 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.0.0
mycomputer ip 192.168.0.100 255.255.0.0
new computer 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0
I have yet to try any of this looks like a good exercise
xp can do bridging see's the 2 nics as 1 don't know how this config would be done
nodsu as posted this stuff do a search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back