Networking Vista and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

I have a simple network with two computers, two network cards and a cable, (with no internet sharing and no router). All I need is file and printer sharing. One computer is using XP SP2 and the other Vista Ultimate. From Vista I can access files on XP, but not the other way around. What can I do?

Make it so that you can access the files?

It would sort of help if you told us what the problem is ("can't" is not among the best descriptions) :p

Nodsu: To be more specific: From my laptop running Vista Ultimate I have full access to my Desktop computer running XP, meaning I can read and write files and access printers. But from my XP computer I just get a yellow exclamation mark on the network symbol in the notification area, and a message saying "network connectivity is low or none".

Did you run the Network Wizard on Vista? Sounds like you're not getting DHCP on
Vista to set the IP for XP.

Also make sure DHCP Client service is running on XP

Thanks, that may help. But...
(this may be a stupid question, but I´m new to networking). How do I run the Network Wizard on Vista? And how to I know if DHCP Client service is running?

I'm still on XP and
Network Wizard is on the Control Panel while DHCP is a service which
is controlled CP->Admin Tools->Services

Your Vista may be different.

DHCP is activated, and I've come a little further with this problem: When I enter My Network Places on windows XP I can access some folders I've shared. But I've also shared the entire D:partition, and when I try to open it from XP it pops up a message saying that I have to talk to system administrator to be able to get access. How can I enable full read/write access?

the C$ and the like are intended for systems attached to a Domain Controller
so a admin can update systems remotely.

at home, you NEVER want this to work less anyone getting access will be
able to modify \windows and your system goes in the tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back