Networking Win 98 PC using Netgear RP614 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazuzu

I am considering connecting my old PC to the router so that i can access files on my new PC.All I want to do initially is look at some data that can be viewed & analysed in Excel spreadsheet format. I have this on the old PC but not on new & I am reluctant to buy a copy.I do not want to compromise the security of my setup and I don't know anything about connecting the PC. The specs. of both PCs are as on my profile.
Could I access email on the old Win 98 PC if I needed to - I use ntl cable service ?

Yes, you should be able to access the Win98 computer and security should not be much of an issue if they're both behind the firewall. You can access the e-mail on the Win98 computer depending on what mail client you used then and the one you use now.

I would set the 98 pc with a static IP address in the same range as your new PC and router(set default gateway as address of router), rename it and join both PC's to a workgroup and share out what you need..you should have no problems accessing from either PC..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back