TechSpot

Networking Win 98 PC using Netgear RP614 router

By Pazuzu
Dec 5, 2005
  1. I am considering connecting my old PC to the router so that i can access files on my new PC.All I want to do initially is look at some data that can be viewed & analysed in Excel spreadsheet format. I have this on the old PC but not on new & I am reluctant to buy a copy.I do not want to compromise the security of my setup and I don't know anything about connecting the PC. The specs. of both PCs are as on my profile.
    Could I access email on the old Win 98 PC if I needed to - I use ntl cable service ?

2. equinox137

equinox137 TS Rookie

Yes, you should be able to access the Win98 computer and security should not be much of an issue if they're both behind the firewall. You can access the e-mail on the Win98 computer depending on what mail client you used then and the one you use now.

3. toffeapple

toffeapple TS Rookie Posts: 216

I would set the 98 pc with a static IP address in the same range as your new PC and router(set default gateway as address of router), rename it and join both PC's to a workgroup and share out what you need..you should have no problems accessing from either PC..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.