TechSpot

Networking WinXp home and Win2000pro

By TechNovice
Sep 3, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have had a home network up and running for a couple years using Win98, WinME, Win2000. I now want to set up two machines running Win2000 with one running WinXP Home. The host machine is a Win2000 at the moment.

The computer with WinXp has a built in NIC on an MSI K8N Neo2 mobo. I have a borrowed USB Nic as well to try and get it working. I ran network wizard on this machine and it wouldnt go on the net with the built in NIC. The borrowed USB one worked at the shop I got it from but will not work on my network.

I have been reading and searching and cannot solve this. One site said there is a possible compatibility issue with WinXP and Win2000 for networking and mentioned changing the resgistry in the Win2000 machine.

As my name says, I am a novice at this and am getting nowhere after several hours messing with it.
    Firewalls are turned off and print and file sharing are on. I have under Lan settings 'Detect proxy settings automatically'. It is DSL internet connection.

Any suggestions ? Thanks for any help.
  2. TechNovice

TechNovice Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No replies. Must have been too easy. I even fixed it. I installed another NIC and bypassed the onboard. Ran Network Wizard on XP machine only and am up now. :bounce:
  3. tdeg

tdeg Newcomer, in training Posts: 348

Can you ping the computers from each other?

Do you have a DCHP server in the network (it will most likely be the router).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.