New 4870 X2s run hot - RivaTuner Needs Admin Clearance to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markk88

I think I've tamed my new beast of an ATI Radeon 4870 x 2. Not sure WHY I absolutely had to have it, but hey. The top card for a few weeks anyway....even though at stock fan speeds the CORE temps can reach 100 Celcius !! (what about fragile parts on the mobo nearby this little heatbox??)

FYI - Running XP Pro V2002 SP3

Anyway, Riva Tuner seems to work at comandeering the GPU fan speeds back up to reasonable - if a tad noisy - levels. Its a little Klugey: occaisionally stops working or seems to only want to work from either the startup folder or as from a registry key.

The main problem I have is that I have a 'Visitor' account setup (I sublet my place occasionally) for non-ME users to limit the amount of havoc they can do. HOWEVER, Riva tuner will not start or operate properly with anything but administrator privileges. This is a non-starter. So I can either grant guests full dominion over my PC...or have my 4870 cooks itself into complete failure while restricting the access of my guests.

Is there a better mousetrap for RivaTuner??

(Note that starting up as an admin and then logging on/off is NOT an option, as 95% of the time, the scenario will be a guest starting up without me around.).

Many thanks to all who opine....

Sounds like a 3rd party cooler might be in order, but I don't know if they have any for HD4870x2s because of the dual GPU deal. There might be some way you can set up permissions for Rivatuner on the guest account, but I wouldn't know, administrator permissions are not my area of expertise.

Latest Catalyst drivers have the ability to set fan speeds for the HD4870X2. I have my Sapphire HD4870X2 run with 42% fan and it idles at around 40c, with load temps around the low 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back