TechSpot

New 500gb hard drive not recognized at bootup screen

By ejames82
Jun 17, 2009
  1. in all fairness, i have requested help with this problem at other sites as well. if i find a solution i promise to post it on all sites.

i just bought a brand new western digital WD5000AAKB caviar blue 500gb IDE/PATA hard drive from tiger direct. i have had success cloning smaller hard drives to 160gb hard drives with easeus disk copy, so i thought i would try to clone from my original HDD to this 500gb. i was able to clone the 160gb HDD's right out of the package without any preparation. i thought i would be able to do this with this 500gb as well, however, the results i get are strange. after making the master/slave connection and powering up, the 500gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen, or else the bootup screen stalls at the part where it detects the hard drives. i must admit that i am not really certain how to have the jumpers set on this 500gb. the master drive is no problem because i have pulled off this procedure before, cloning 40gb to 80gb. i have had the jumpers on the 500gb set at both cable select and slave. the HDD is brand new, so i could get my $ back, but i think i am making a mistake of some kind. i am very much a newbie at this, and i have just gotten lucky a few times with this "hobby". just trying to keep a backup of some cheap computer's data, in case. any expert help would be most appreciated.

2. ejames82

ejames82 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 145

i solved the problem. i swapped ribbon cables and the hard drive was detected. it showed up in disk management, and disk copy made a clone without a hitch.

3. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,553   +18

Glad you found your solution... :grinthumb
    sorry we didn't point you to it first!;)
    Stick around... lotsa good help to be found here!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.