New Apple iPad pre-order stock sold out, delays expected

Leeky

Apple announced the new iPad to the world at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco last Wednesday. The device is scheduled for release on March 16, but due to the unprecedented demand for Apple's new tablet the company has already been forced to push back delivery times for online buyers.

Originally, those pre-ordering online were expected to receive the new tablets on the launch day as the Cupertino-based company had routinely set aside stock for those pre-ordering, but these have all sold due to demand that’s “off the charts” according to an Apple spokesperson.

customers ipad

Most of those in the US that ordered online will have to wait until March 19 for delivery, with a two device limit on orders. The lucky few that got their orders in before stocks ran out will receive them on the launch day on Friday according to PC World.

This means that the only other way to get the new tablet on launch day is by queuing at Apple stores, or through one of their authorized retailers. For those of you in Australia, orders will ship on March 22, whereas those that ordered in France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland and the United Kingdom will have a shipping delay of two to three weeks on their hands.

US carriers AT&T and Verizon are currently only taking customer email addresses with promises to notify those interested when the tablet later becomes available. Those in Hong Kong are even worse off, with the official Apple online store saying they’re simply unavailable.

Similar problems were experienced when the iPad 2 was released last year, with demand so high it wiped out stocks the day it went on sale, causing extensive delays for shipping which Tim Cook described at the time as the “mother of all backlogs.” It took Apple several months before they were able reach a point where production met consumer demand.

Apple has not commented on exact pre-order sales figures, but analysts quoted by the Daily Mail expect Apple to sell an estimated nine million new iPad tablets in this quarter alone.

Permalink to story.

There are many features that you'll want with your new tablet: Black or White. Take your pick.

Que up the eBay profiteers. Selling this for twice what it retails for. The sad thing is, people will pay it.

butch said:
Que up the eBay profiteers. Selling this for twice what it retails for. The sad thing is, people will pay it.

I'm glad somebody understands where the "unprecedented demand" comes from. Half go to Ebay, the rest back to China. Enjoy your toy, stupid rich people.

I seriously and honestly don't understand, how after yet another iteration of the same product, demand can always be this high!
I would assume demand would be fulfilled after the iphone and ipad (which are basically the same product with different form factors) have been around for long enough. However, it seems it's the same people buying them over and over, cause like 90% of the iphones I see around, are already iPhones4 or 4S.

What's wrong with paying twice as much on eBay? It would put more money towards economy: so tax payers should profit too.

Add me to line of lemmings.... I put off buying ipad 1 or 2 and was going to upgrade my i7-2600 to ivy bridge but go tired of reading on my ipod touch...

so no to ivy-bridge upgrade
yes to ipad,
bye to tax refund as it is now spent.

I my case it has definitely canalized a pc sales

Funny how it flew right over top of me to get to Louisville.

They just should have parachuted it down to me :)

I am in canada and here is my tracking info

Louisville, KY, United States 03/10/2012 0:14 Arrival Scan
Anchorage, AK, United States 03/09/2012 14:26 Departure Scan
03/09/2012 11:54 Arrival Scan
Chek Lap Kok, Hong Kong 03/09/2012 20:08 Departure Scan
Shenzhen, China 03/09/2012 13:50 Departure Scan
03/09/2012 4:53 Origin Scan
China 03/09/2012 23:02 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

awesome, soon we will all carry our computers in our pockets. Demand drives production, production drives price, I'll get my equivalent when > $100

Do you know the definition of insanity ? "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results", Apple fans buying the same thing over and over again, there you go. LOL

Maybe they all believe that this one will somehow support flash player, or maybe that with the new screen their angry birds score will improve.

Who knows why people keep buying these things, everyone i know that got one shoved it in the bottom drawer 3 months later and never used it for the purpose they thought of when buying it.

Must be pretty dumb to spend twice retail instead of waiting a couple weeks.
But it is your money, waste it the way you want.

So, you waited for over 2 years, but now you have to have it, this second.

I've done the math and come to the conclusion that if we don't buy every new Apple iPad and iPhone that comes out every 6 months, our family could spare as much money that in 5 years we could buy a new car.
Also you could take into consideration that in 5 years an Apple product will become at least 10 times obsolete, so why wasting money on **** ? :))

Guest said:
I've done the math and come to the conclusion that if we don't buy every new Apple iPad and iPhone that comes out every 6 months, our family could spare as much money that in 5 years we could buy a new car.
Also you could take into consideration that in 5 years an Apple product will become at least 10 times obsolete, so why wasting money on **** ? :))

I agree, but (and by no means am i ever defending Apple) we have to be fair... this is true for most other tech toys

Apple Rules

Please just make sure the price is high, that way i know im getting the best product.

APPLE FTW

don't worry, you will be able to find them on ebay for 3x the selling price.

Marketing smoke and mirrors and outright lies have made Apple the company that they are, but riddle me this: Which sucessful Corporation has not employed the same tactics?

Back