New ATM skimmers that sit inside the card slot are virtually impossible to detect

Shawn Knight

Staff member

latest super-thin atm skimmers virtually unspottable europe atm theft criminal skimmer

Skimmers have been used by crooks for years to steal credit and debit card information during ATM transactions. The devices have traditionally been somewhat easy to spot given their sheer size but as technology advances and electronics get smaller, so too do ATM skimmers.

Krebs on Security recently took a look at some miniaturized fraud devices that were discovered to be in use at various ATMs across Europe this year. Whereas previous implementations were designed to fit on top of a machine's existing card slot, revised units like the one pictures below actually lie inside the card slot which makes them almost impossible to spot.

latest super-thin atm skimmers virtually unspottable europe atm theft criminal skimmer

Once your card is inserted, the device swipes the magnetic strip to steal your credentials. But what about the PIN number associated with the card? A tiny spy camera used in conjunction with the slot skimmer was able to capture each user's PIN number . As shown below, a false fascia was placed just above the keypad with a tiny hole to let the camera see as you type.

As Krebs points out, one of the easiest ways to prevent such theft is to simply place your other hand over the keypad as you enter your PIN. Most users simply think that if nobody is around, nobody is watching. Of course that's not always the case as this example shows that cameras can be lurking virtually anywhere.

It's an effective precaution that can be used virtually anywhere you use your debit or credit card and need to enter a PIN.

Permalink to story.

If you put your card into an ATM hole that looked like a vagina, and suddenly all your money is gone - then you are probably better off.

phuket-atm-card-skimmer-575x384.jpg

And stay away from lodgement machines that look like this:
19-image-1400147746.jpg

Imagine you go to the forest to pick up some wood, and on your way back you find the world overrun by strange machines? Life can be confusing sometimes...
strange-people-at-atm-10.jpg

In the meantime, the smartest guys swap everything they have, even their teeth - all for Bitcoins...
hi52f53e80.jpg

Now they don't need ATM, and their future is totally secure!

Last edited:
At some point, isn't it incumbent on the ATM owner/operators, to develop and install sensing solutions, to find and disable these skimmers?. Or at the very least, shut down the terminal until the offending device can be removed.

All digital electronics act as transmitters in a limited capacity, are you trying to tell me they can't find something a quarter inch away?

I mean really, the banks can only play so stupid, for so long, before this comes back to haunt them.

At some point, isn't it incumbent on the ATM owner/operators, to develop and install sensing solutions, to find and disable these skimmers?. Or at the very least, shut down the terminal until the offending device can be removed.

All digital electronics act as transmitters in a limited capacity, are you trying to tell me they can't find something a quarter inch away?

I mean really, the banks can only play so stupid, for so long, before this comes back to haunt them.

Most of existing ATM-s were designed as non-upgradable. The majority at the moment are running a form of ancient Windows, from Windows Me to Windows XP. They can only be replaced with brand new machines, ones that also do not guarantee any form of upgrades, because their installers are only interested in maximizing profit from repairs and complete re-installations. It is a totally exclusive, sick and twisted market, just like military contracts.

If you put your card into an ATM hole that looked like a vagina, and suddenly all your money is gone - then you are probably better off.

I've never met a man who did what you've described, only to lose half of everything, reflect on the episode positively. Double if it happened in California. Simply put, nothing good comes from putting your card in an ATM sold without a warrantee.

If you put your card into an ATM hole that looked like a vagina, and suddenly all your money is gone - then you are probably better off......[ ]....
So what you're saying is we'd all be better off getting a pre-nup before using your local ATM? I wonder if you could clear up something for me. I thought if you put anything into something that looked like a vagina, then eventually all your money would be gone......:D

With that said, I know what I must do to insure my future happiness!

I'm going right out a buying a blow up ATM machine to keep me company, and order another box of checks to bank with....!

Last edited:
How about no more cash? I avoid cash - too easy to lose, too hard to return stuff, etc. I keep just enough for random girl scout cookie stand or at-work buy-in pot. Everybody else takes credit now.

If I walk into a "brick and mortar" store that doesn't take cash, I will turn around and walk out. I should get a shirt that says, "No Cash, No Business!".

You're losing money then. Provided you stay to a budget, credit card rewards earn you stuff cash can't. Pay before 30-days and no interest is charged to your credit cards plus you get the miles/cash back/etc. just for using the card.

If you pay interest on a credit card you are doing it wrong. had my cards for 10 years never paid interest and they pay me to use them.

LOL - credit card rewards! Rewards that never surpass the interest paid in. Damn you fell for one of the biggest shams of owning a credit card.
If you pay interest on a credit card you are doing it wrong. had my cards for 10 years never paid interest and they pay me to use them.

^ This. As I said in my post, if you pay them off before 30-days, you don't pay interest. Just use your money wisely.

Did you really just say that credit cards that charge %30 interest and a annual fee are better than cash?

"
insect said:

If I walk into a "brick and mortar" store that doesn't take cash, I will turn around and walk out. I should get a shirt that says, "No Cash, No Business!".
You're losing money then. Provided you stay to a budget, credit card rewards earn you stuff cash can't. Pay before 30-days and no interest is charged to your credit cards plus you get the miles/cash back/etc. just for using the card.

"

Did you really just say that credit cards that charge %30 interest and a annual fee are better than cash?
Rest assured, no one said that. No mention was made of 30% interest and you were the only one to bring up an annual fee.

Regardless of the nominal interest rate of a given credit card, what insect was saying was if you pay off the full balance before the due date (most cards), you pay no interest. In the USA it's not difficult to find a credit card that does not charge an annual fee. I have several credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Discover) and none of them charge annual fees. If any of them starts charging annual fees, I close the account.

@cliffordcooley no one said anything about stores not taking cash. Insect only said they all take credit cards (too) so even at his favorite stores I'm sure you are free to use cash if you wish. Anyway, what brick and mortar store wouldn't take cash?

Credit cards can be a tremendous convenience and, of course, you can get into trouble by overspending (even without credit cards) but if you can manage your spending and stay within your means, using a cash back type credit card is fine, IMHO. Surely, most of TechSpot's members here are smart enough and have enough self restraint to use credit cards to their advantage. But if not or you simply prefer not to, you don't have to if you don't want to. If you prefer cash (or check or debit), by all means stick to it.

I'm not convinced that the banks aren't behind all this. I know very little about how banks work but it makes me wonder if they are raking in huge amounts in insurance payouts when a 'fraud' is committed! With all the so called technology we have, how on earth are the banks not on top of this by now? In my personal experience, and working in IT, I have never come across one instance of card fraud which has been committed over the Internet. It has all originated from ATM/Chip & PIN usage! It all smells a bit fishy to me!

At one point, I noticed very small amounts being taken from my business account. Although the bank would not comment, I'm convinced that was an inside job and probably a very lucrative one. It may be different for others but in my experience, when I have asked the banks to keep me informed of the investigation and result, I have been met with a wall of silence? Silence in these cases makes me highly suspicious and speaks loudly of cover up!

...[ ].. At one point, I noticed very small amounts being taken from my business account. Although the bank would not comment, I'm convinced that was an inside job and probably a very lucrative one. It may be different for others but in my experience, when I have asked the banks to keep me informed of the investigation and result, I have been met with a wall of silence? Silence in these cases makes me highly suspicious and speaks loudly of cover up!
A scam resembling this hit the evening news a while back. I forget the actual amount that was being taken, certainly under 10 bucks, but it was hitting a lot of people's accounts.

Back