Feb 18, 2009
  1. hi my new built computer won't boot. Here is the specification:
    M3A78 motherboard
    GTX 260 video card
    2x DDR2 ram
    athlon 64 x2 CPU
    Rosewill RP 550-2 psu (550watt)
    and using my old SATA HD + CD/DVD drive

can some please help? I was thinking bout the psu doesn't have enough A or voltage for this build.

P.S everything was running but no display or no post.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

The graphics card requires two PCI-E six pin power connectors. Are they both connected to the power supply? The power supply only comes with one PCI-E connector.

3. ndat911

ndat911 TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes, i had 2 of 6 pin connectors connect to the graphic card (the 2nd 6 pin came from the graphic card box)

4. mailpup

It might be weak power supply with only two rails of 18A each. What kind of DDR2 RAM and which M3A78 motherboard? There are several different ones.

5. ndat911

this is my mobo (sorry, i can't link cus i'm new here, need 3 more posts) ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard and rams are kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory.

P.S on my mobo manual it says make sure the the 20-pin power plug can provide at least 15 A on +12 V. I'm also using 24 pins (the main connector is actually 20 pins but also there are the 4 pins next to it which i connect to the ATX power connector) + 4 pin ATX12V.

6. mailpup

The + 4 pin connector from the 20 + 4 pin motherboard connector is not the same as the P4 12V connector that goes to the motherboard. Although there are 4 pins on each, the voltage/ground pin arrangement is different. So you might have used the wrong PSU connector on your motherboard's P4 12V connnection.

BTW, I count 24 pins on the motherboard main connector. Use the full 20 + 4 pins on it.

7. ndat911

the psu was ok. Anyway I tested my mobo by removing all gpu, hdd, cd drive, ram etc... except for cpu and its fan. There was no beep sound. So I guess it's a bad motherboard then.

8. AudioVayne

AudioVayne TS Rookie Posts: 142

Coulda been RAM? Did you try 1 stick at a time or another stick from elsewhere (if possible)?

9. ndat911

Ty for the replies guys. Confirmed it was the mobo fault. RMA it and got another new brand one all worked well!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.