New build case & power supply recommendations

dinvex

I currently have this (and don't want them to collect any dust:):

Asus Motherboard

Quad Processor
DDR Memory

Plus a couple hard drives, but absolutely nothing else. Since this is new to me, I'm asking:

1 - Is there a way the more experienced users would suggest going about a new case and how to know the appropriate power supply to buy.

2 - I bought the MB used from newegg.com, and it didn't come with any wires/connectors. Can you tell me what I'd need to fully be ready when I have all the components?

Thanks!

I havnt done this in a while but here it goes.....

If you dont have the propor heatsink/fan combo you will need one of those for your processor.

For your needs just get a quality 500w PSU by Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake ect ect. No $20 bargain buys. If you plan on putting in some super fancy graphics card, take the minumum requirments for that card off the box and add 100 watts.

Wires you will need are just your SATA cables.

The PSU should come with all you need to connect it to your motherboard.

2 - I bought the MB used from newegg.com, and it didn't come with any wires/connectors. Can you tell me what I'd need to fully be ready when I have all the components?
Hey everyone, I already bought everything, so now I'll make a post asking for recommendations.
Silly you, if you had asked before buying, I, along with others, would have told you not to buy an open boxed. You could have at least read the fine print about open boxed, they're not supposed to come with any cables/screws/manuals or anything. It's honestly loads easier to buy retail motherboards.

If you dont have the propor heatsink/fan combo you will need one of those for your processor.
No he wont, if you looked, that particular processor is a retail and comes with a heatsink and fan.
Also, he may need mounting brackets for his motherboard. Maybe even some pata cables or something miscellaneous.

1 - Is there a way the more experienced users would suggest going about a new case and how to know the appropriate power supply to buy.
Please post back with a budget, and intended use, ie. gaming, office work...

If you haven't already purchased your RAM too, consider the OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK

First, lovely retort, except I did know it doesn't come with anything, and, as the silly one I truly am, I did read the fine print. I did not know it would be a pain!I Now I know, right? So I am now simply asking about the types of cables I will need.

Second, unless the "DDR Memory" I posted doesn't describe the necessary RAM, I am good there, although that would have been a good buy.

Third, I'm hoping the rest of what I need doesn't exceed about 200.00, although I'm open to anything (...up to 300) that will provide a more reliable system for sound editing, and later video (not something to worry about in the meantime).

My scare is that you didnt even mention a video card, which can sometimes be the most expensive part of your build. I have suggestions, but I'll let HK handle it. She will pounce on your face about a psu(pretty sure she will suggest the corsair 550cmp.) she will probably recommend a 5850 or a amd last generation card. After she asks if you already have a monitor,mouse and os? Any more indirect questions I can answer?

Pardon my post. I know they are not perfect. I'm on my Archos 7o tablet.

Oh yeah, I've got everything down systematically; I've also got my newegg cart loaded with the things I recommend most.

For sound editing, do you want a sound card?
As for video editing, that phenom II X4 will do nicely, not that it matters.

Since you don't mention gaming, a SAPPHIRE 100291L Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card should be ok; I hear it's a decent HTPC card.
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

As for the case, any midtower should be pretty cheap and will serve you well.

Wow Antec Earthwatts, its been a minute since I seen you spew that out HK. Nice choice though. Sound cards are tricky, a lot of the cheap ones have issues with w7 and require some os updates if people are behind. The 5750 is okay for his build, but I had a feeling you would go last generation on his build. I dont think he plans on playing on any pc monitor larger than 22" so no biggy.

What about an hdd, cd drive, etc etc. Guess I'll wait for the op to respond.

As for the case, any midtower should be pretty cheap and will serve you well.

Sorry for the delay....my son is trying to prove he's crazier than myself (but at 14 months he has a ways to go:)

For the sound editing, I have an external device (mbox 2).

As for the screen, I might be interested in adding a second screen, or just getting a larger screen... does this HD 5450 prevent that (assuming from supersmashbrada's post).

The power supply looks cool. As for the tower, any features you recommend so I don't make you yell at me again - even if I like it :p

is 75 - 100 being cheap?

As for the screen, I might be interested in adding a second screen, or just getting a larger screen... does this HD 5450 prevent that (assuming from supersmashbrada's post).
Nah.
Um, I'd say it's expensive for a low end midtower.
Look up the Antec 300.

It would not prevent you from having another screen (it supports three) Just don't plan on gaming with it. It is an 80 SPU 106 Gigaflop GPU (rather weak).
here is the home page, you can compare them.
Something like HK said, the 5750-5770 would be vastly better.

Back