TechSpot

New build lack of video output

By Sefi
Oct 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. So, I have just completed my first new-build PC, using entirely new parts. However, when I try to hook the computer up to a monitor the screen remains blank, all fans seem to be working perfectly, the HDD seems to be spinning, the lights on the case alight fine, however I see no video output at all, specs for the build are listed below:

Coolermaster CM690 II with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 P55 mobo
    Intel i5 760 2.8GHz Socket 1156 8MB L3 Cache
    Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache
    Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.5V Unbuffered Non-ECC
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
    Samsung SH-S222A 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM IDE Optical Drive

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could provide with details that may help me get this thing up an running, thanks.

Oh, and a last note, I am connecting the screen to the graphics vard via a HDMI Mini to HDMI cable.

*EDIT* Whilst I did see that there was another thread open with a similar problem I didn't want to post my issue there and essentially hijack someone else's thread.
  2. chinmokuchibi

chinmokuchibi TS Rookie

I was the one who posted the other thread just yesterday.

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AS YOU.

Turns out, I did not connect all of my power pins to the motherboard.

I had connected the 24 pin ATX connector.

But I had forgotten to connect the 8 Pin CPU connector, once I did that everything worked.

Hope this helps!
  3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

wow that was your solution?
  4. chinmokuchibi

chinmokuchibi TS Rookie

Yep, why?
  5. Sefi

Sefi TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nope, that isn't the problem here I'm afraid, both the 24pin and the 8 pin power cables are both securely connected to the mobo.
  6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Seems you may have the problem my brother had, and I once had. HDMI doesnt connect automatically like dvi/vga. You need to hook up a seperate monitor via dvi/vga, go into your nvidia control panel and designate the monitor you want to use and also enable hdmi for that monitor.
  7. Sefi

Sefi TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have no other monitor I can try this with, if that's what you meant.

However, i have just attempted to bread board the system with just the processor, RAM and the graphics card in place and it still doesn't show any display on my screen,

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.