New build need opinions

By Pepelepew
Jul 21, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. So i been asking and picked what i thought was best for a "Gaming Computer"
    here's what i got:

Motherboard:
    MSI 870A-G54 AM3 No SLI though would you guy's recommend SLI?

CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition I thought this ones the best quad core out there since the six core CPU's aren't very much needed as no game uses 6 cores.

GPU:
    EVGA 01G-P3-1373-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB

RAM:
    G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

CASE:
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel

POWER SUPPLY: i currently have a 550W power supply i could just switch over, instead of buying a new one.

What do you guy's think about this setup for a gaming computer, think it will last me for a while? Comments and Suggestions Appreciated!!! THANKS!

PS: i had links to go with the hardware but i'm new so it wouldn't let me post it. I will be buying everything from newegg
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,117   +23

Who made your power supply? Also, I have the HAF-922 and for a mid-tower it is very roomy. It isn't that much smaller than my old full tower Thermaltake Xaser II which is a beast that I swear was made out of old WW II tank plating.
  3. JohnD212

JohnD212 Newcomer, in training

I would seriously consider upgrading that PSU to 600's to 700's range. I think the 400 series of cards needs minimum 500 or 550w PSU....that doesn't give you much breathing room.
  4. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Looks good but as others have said, a good quality power supply is needed. 600W-700W and a +12 rail with at least 46a - 52a or so.
  5. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Nice choices. However, I feel that you should seriously consider getting an SLI board. The simple addition of a second GTX 460 a year or two down the line would definitely ensure that your PC handles anything that's thrown at it.

And I agree with the others on the PSU.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.