New Build PC Freezing Randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built this new box for gaming about 3-4 days ago, had all the parts shipped in from newegg.com and have been having problems with random freezes. No BSOD's at all, just freezing of the screen, no mouse movements, and I cant even turn numlock off on the keyboard. I have ran memtest, HD tests, virus scans, spyware scans, and have checked the temps of the CPU GPU and MB. All temps are normal (CPU avg. 25-30 degrees Celcius at idle, GPU 50-55 degrees Celcius at idle, and MB 18-25 degrees Celcius at idle). I cant seem to figure out the problem. Any input would be appreciated.

Also occassionally playing WoW, my keyboard and mouse acts like it gets unplugged and plugged back in from time to time. Mouse is plugged into hub on keyboard.

Thanks.

What is the make and model of your video card and did you update the drivers? If not try the following steps:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Also unplug mouse from keyboard hub. What are the results?

It is a Zotac GeForce GTS 250 as stated in system specs. Yes, I have updated to the latest drivers from Nvidias website.

Just unplugged mouse from Keyboard hub, will post feedback when I can tell if it worked. Although mouse worked fine with no flaws on previous build.

EDIT* Can USB2.0 devices be plugged into USB3.0 and work efficitiantly?

Any chance that the motherboard USB slots have a problem? Doesn't really seem like a video card issue to me. Also, what PSU are you using?

Any chance that the motherboard USB slots have a problem? Doesn't really seem like a video card issue to me. Also, what PSU are you using?

The USB is what has me suspicious Rit. How many times have we seen freezes, etc. due to USB peripherals? I've lost count. I'm not saying this isthe reason but like you it raises a flag for me.

It doesnt seem to me that the Onboard USB is causing a problem. Like I said, the computer just freezes no mouse movement, no lights when pressing num lock, as well as no errors reported when I reboot. It just freezes I hit the reset button, and it seems to work for awhile longer. Im using a Raidmax Hybrid 2 630w PSU, which is more than enough to power my setup.

The USB could be causing it to freeze but I get no error codes nor BSOD.

The USB2.0 devices are not plugged into the USB3.0 spots and have not yet been. I was just wondering if they were backwards compatible.

Also, the PCI-E power connector on the rear of my graphics card had an adapter. It is a 8 pin plug that comes out to 2 individiual 6 pin plugs. The back of the card is 8 pin, so do I plug both PCI-E Power plugs coming from the PSU both into the adapter and then into the card, or do I only need to plug 1 of the 6 pin plugs into the adapter to the card? If that makes sense lol. I have had freezes while having 1 plug plugged in as well as 2, just wondering what that was for.

I don't know if your motherboard has multiple pci-express x16 slots, but try putting the card into another pci-express x16 slot. I heard a similar issue like this and when he used the other slot it was fine. Apparently in a dual pci-e x16 system, only one of the slots can be used as primary.

The other thing to try is swapping out the video card and use the integrated video card (or another video card) to try and test long term stability.

Me thinks it's gotta be the video card or the memory. Do you have some old memory to swap out with to also test?

Motherboard BIOS updated?

As for the mouse, I had a similar issue with a MS basic mouse. I ended up swapping the mouse for a new Logitech one and the "plug/unplug" USB sound/no mouse issue never returned back.

Good luck!

My motherboard does have dual x16 slots, and I have my vid card in the primary pci-e slot and a switch card in the other pci-e slot that came with the motherboard. it used used if you are running only a single card. I will definitly try uninstalling it and running the onboard video for awhile to see if it still has problems.

Unfortuneatly i dont have old ram to stick in to test, but ive ran memtest for 10 hours with no errors or problems whatsoever.

BIOS is up to date as far as I know. I have ran the included software to update it for me.

As far as the mouse goes, I really hope its not causing the problems. ( Logitech G5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back