New Build Unstable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
I have just built a pc based on the spec below.
The problem is that it will not boot unless the jumpers are set to overclock the pro to run at 2300 instead of the standard 2200.
It is very unstable with the screen going blank after various amounts of time.
The monitor light is still green, sometimes, and sometimes it goes orange, like stand by mode. It sometimes also does a random boot!!
I thought it of may been a overheating problem but I have tried a large desk fan blowing directly into the case, sides off, and it still shut down 5 minutes into a game.
I have increased the cpu volts by 5% to compensate for overclock.
I have also done this.
1.Disable fastwrite, (apparently can cause probs and gives no particular performance boost).
2.Changed the fast command to fast from normal. (Apparently, the ultra setting is very unstable).
3.Changed the DIMM voltage to +0.1 as there are reports that it is undervolted.

Thought i'd got it.
Left the comp downloading so as to give it something to do.
Came back 2 hours later, great, still downloading.
Came back for dinner, the monitor light had turned orange.
Thing is, the computer itself, ie, the psu, graphics card fan etc were still functioning, as though it had gone into some kind of sleep mode but pressing keys and using the mouse doesn't wake it up.
Only the reset button does this.
It appears to last longer now but still goes blank.
Anyone know of any issues or have any clues??
Cheers.
Crucial 512mb RAM (pc 3200)
Ati Radeon 9550 256mb Graphics
Seagate 160gb HDD

Did you install the motherboard drivers? Is your graphics driver up to date? Are your memry timmings set right?

Hi vegasgmc (whatever that means :confused: )

Yes, I installed the motherboard drivers.
I haven't looked for an updated graphics driver, I will do it now.
I am not sure what or how to set my memory timings, can you advise or do I need to go to a specific site????
Thanks.

Its in the BIOS under Advanced Chipset Features. Set memory timings to auto. They should be something like
RAS-5
RCD-3
RP-3
CAS-2.5

Tried all settings for the overclocked cpu.
Unstable no matter what I try.
I have resorted to underclocking by 100mhz, all seems well, I have had no issues since.
It looks as though this board, despite Gigabytes claims, does not support Athlon 3200's.
Thanks for the input.

try getting an RMA on that board.

PS: if you like AMD or foreign mobos u'd better get used to thses types of issues.

Hi Zephead.
Just found on there web site that this cpu is still on test on this board.
Is it their fault for saying AMD's ( not giving any exceptions ), the shop, as I asked for a board that supports a 3200, or mine for getting involved with these stupid machines?
We live and learn!! :haha:

well, sounds like it's thier fault but could have been avoided altogether by choosing an intel product.

sobeit said:
Hi Zephead.
Just found on there web site that this cpu is still on test on this board.
Is it their fault for saying AMD's ( not giving any exceptions ), the shop, as I asked for a board that supports a 3200, or mine for getting involved with these stupid machines?
We live and learn!! :haha:
Some like amd and wouldnt buy any other.But my opinion i wouldnt touch them,Ill work on them but Im a Asus fan !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back